07-11-2014

Richmond, Va

3 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 1 of 6

Trying to use FireWire devices with a W540 through a Thunderbolt adapter

2014-07-11, 16:30 PM

We have a camera that we need to use that has FireWire 800 as its sole interface, and because it needs to be mobile we had to use it with a laptop.  After some research we decided that the best course of action was to purchase a ThinkPad W540 and connect the camera to the Thunderbolt port with a Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter, as this should give us plenty of bandwidth for the camera. 

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to connect any FireWire devices to the laptop in this way.  We have tried connecting both the camera and a FireWire hard drive through the adapter, and while the power lights will come on for both devices the computer resolutely refuses to even acknowledge their existance. 

I have tried everything that I can think of to get this to work, updating all of the dirvers on the laptop, checking all of the settings in the BIOS, and searching the forums for similar issues, but now I have run out of ideas.  What can I do to get this laptop to play nice with my FireWire devices?

Solved! See the solution
Options

5550 Posts

06-27-2008

US

28457 Signins

1626732 Page Views

• Views: 1626732
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Trying to use FireWire devices with a W540 through a Thunderbolt adapter

2014-07-11, 19:36 PM

Good afternoon and welcome to the community.

Sorry you're having issues using a Thunderbolt-2-Firewire adapter.

Not much I can offer on that as I've never used one, but an alternative might be to try an Expresscard Firewire adapter. A number of them I've seen offer 2 ports, so that might be useful also.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

3 Posts

07-11-2014

Richmond, Va

3 Signins

48 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2014-07-11, 19:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, it's actually what I was researching while I was hoping that someone here might come up with a better solution. 

I was really hoping to use the Thunderbolt adapter since the camera could then draw off of the laptop's battery supply, while I think that all of the ExpressCard adapters require an external power supply.  While I have the sinking feeling that the ExpressCard is the route that I will be forced to use, it will mean that now I will also have to come up with some battery/USB based power supply for the adapter, because in my case having it plugged into a wall is not an option.

On the ExpressCard front (since I seem to be in the market for one now), would you happen to know of any that are better than most? (The reviews are severely lacking for most options that I am finding online.)

Options

3 Posts

07-11-2014

Richmond, Va

3 Signins

48 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2014-07-11, 20:57 PM

After searching the internet all day for possible solutions, I finally found one all by myself by accident. 

Under the drivers page for the W540, the latest version of the driver for the Thunderbolt Controller for Windows 7 is 1.3.0.17, which I already had.  When I looked for the drivers again for all versions of Windows instead, I found that there is an updated driver version 1.4.0.1 that was just listed for Windows 8.1.  On the off-chance that it might solve my problems I decided to install it, and I was ecstatic when my computer suddenly recognized and automatically installed the drivers for a FireWire controller. 

So it appears that all I needed was the latest driver for the Thunderbolt Controller, but didn't find it earlier because it was only listed for a different version of Windows.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

06-24-2015

US

16 Signins

93 Page Views

• Views: 93
  • Message 5 of 6

2017-02-09, 9:14 AM
Hi,great advice/suggestion I just wonder if Firewire Audio Interfaces for Pro Audio Software will work as well?
The Express card also may give the option as long as a very particular type of FireWire Express Card is used?
Has Anyone that has a W540 Workstation currently,and successfully utilized it for strictly Pro Audio Production too?
I have the i7-4900MQ and with optimizations in Win 7 it is as powerful,more so than a made to order Desktop with an i7-2600K ,I just need an SSD which kind I do not know of at least 500GB,and have never had an mSATA SSD like the OEM 16GB one,is it possible to utilize a FAR larger capacity mSATA SSD in these machines too?
Too many questions as a Reply,it's just YOUR post is The Only one that contains any information about the Thunderbolt
and Firewire.
Thank You
Robert ,
Options

1 Posts

12-03-2017

IN

2 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 6 of 6

2017-12-03, 8:47 AM
can you tell which thunderbolt to firewire adapter you used.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save