12-06-2016

US

100 Signins

1189 Page Views

• Views: 1189
  • Message 1 of 7

UEFI crashes when searching bootable devices

2017-02-08, 3:36 AM

I did a restore of a hard disk with "Paragon 15 Hard Disk manager 15 Professional" and the restore worked (system is booting and running properly on both [2] Nvme disks), but when I try to select a (Nvme) boot device in the UEFI, the UEFI hangs and is not responding anymore. Resetting the UEFI, the bootloaders in the menu disappear (as expected), but only one of the two Nvme disks is bootable, the disk that has been restored is no longer bootable (was bootable right after restore). I am very dissapointed with the quality of the UEFI and the quality of the TP70 in general. A UEFI/BIOS should never hang and create this kind of a mess. Any idea what is going on ? How can a disk be bootable and after a UEFI/BIOS reset suddenly go offline ?

Setup:

2x Intel 6000p Nvme (2x1GB)

1x 2.5" SSD (Transcent 1GB)

1x 2.5" Spinner (Axiom 2TB)

Options

10388 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39205 Signins

404757 Page Views

• Views: 404757
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: UEFI crashes when searching bootable devices

2017-02-08, 3:42 AM

How was the machine configured when it came from Lenovo?  Where was the bootloader?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

32 Posts

12-06-2016

US

100 Signins

1189 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2017-02-08, 4:38 AM

The hard disk that came originally had been removed and has never been used (system came with one single spinner). I added 4 disks, two Nvme's (Intel's 6000p - please keep that Samsung crap) one Transcent SSD 1TB and one Axiom (Seagate) 2TB.

One Nvme contains Windows 7 and Windows 10 (fresh install with  one EFI partition on this Nvme 1), the other Nvme contains Fedor 25 (fresh install with one EFI partition on this Nvme 0). Installation worked fine, both bootloaders (Windows and Fedora) showed up in the UEFI boot menu.

I wanted to ensure that a backup/restorce cycle works on the Nvme. I did not work properly. Can't say with 100% confidence that the culprit is the "Paragon" software or the UEFI, but even if the "Paragon" software screwed up, the UEFI should not hang (and the system booted after a restore!). This is not acceptable. This P70 is the worst machine I had of the more than 10 IBM/Lenovo's that I had so far.

Options

10388 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39205 Signins

404757 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2017-02-08, 5:15 AM

It sounds like you are trying to boot from an OS partition after a UEFI install.  I would not expect that to boot on any hardware.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Options

10388 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39205 Signins

404757 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2017-02-08, 6:19 AM

If anything is inconsistent between the bootloader and the efi partition, it won't boot no matter what hardware you have.

Rich

Options

32 Posts

12-06-2016

US

100 Signins

1189 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2017-02-08, 7:19 AM

Thanks for your reply. The confusion I have is that it actually did boot fine, even with the UEFI crashing when looking at the boot drive selection in the UEFI itself.

Please note: No intention of yelling by using uppercase here !! Sorry for that.

So booting worked, the UEFI could just not read/display the EFI partitions properly. And when I cleared the settings, it got screwed up.

The thing I don't understand: How is it possible that each drive in the system can have a UEFI partition. The UEFI/BIOS lists all the boot manager(s) found (e.g. Windows Boot Manager, Fedora) and the physical drive(s) itself ( nvme0n1, nvme1n1 ) in the boot menu. How is it possible, after a full restore of a working drive (drive showed up properly with bootloader in UEFI/BIOS - backup/restore process without using the drive inbetween), that it can boot properly after restore ( nvme0n1 in my case ) but not display neither of the boot managers of either drive ( nvme0n1, nvme1n1 ) ?

So the problem I have is not booting, it did boot BEFORE backup AND AFTER restore, it's the UEFI/BIOS that hangs while trying to list the bootmanagers and physical drives AFTER restore. It just stop booting AFTER I reseted the UEFI/BIOS.

This whole UEFI/BIOS mess is the reason why I went trough a test cycle to see if it actually does work BEFORE I loose data. I don't think I can order P70's for my software team.

p.s.

Here is section 3.1.1 of the version 2.x of the UEFI spec (which I think the 2.12 UEFI/BIOS fails to comply)

If the boot image is not loaded via LoadImage() the boot manager is required to check for a default application to boot. Searching for a default application to boot happens on both removable and fixed media types. This search occurs when the device path of the boot image listed in any boot option points directly to an EFI_SIMPLE_FILE_SYSTEM_PROTOCOL device and does not specify the exact file to load. The file discovery method is explained in Section 3.3. The default media boot case of a protocol other than EFI_SIMPLE_FILE_SYSTEM_PROTOCOL is handled by the EFI_LOAD_FILE_PROTOCOL for the target device path and does not need to be handled by the boot manager.

Options

32 Posts

12-06-2016

US

100 Signins

1189 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2017-02-27, 11:18 AM

Ok,

here are a few issues and workarounds on how to get CentOS 7 up and running on NVme drives on a P70-X-M4000M.

Next to the NVme drive you also need a 2.5" SATA drive and Clonezilla. The procedure herein is not elegant, but it seems to work. I don't cover the graphics card (M4000M) here , this has been explained in other places in this forum (Bumblebee).

First, as of January 2017, Centos 7 can not be installed directly onto the NVme drive (Intel), because it seems the kernel (3.10) can not deal with the Intel 6000p NVme drives. Furthermore, the Intel RST driver (NVme in RAID) does also not work (yet).

So the only option it seems is to install Centos 7 on a 2.5" SATA drive. Note that partitioning in the CentOS 7 installer is very "fragile", so better just use the default disk layout. Once the installation is complete, first thing to do is to install "yum-plugin-priorities" to avoid ending up in a REPO-mess (and set all priorities in the repo). After that, the kernel needs to be updated, so installing ELRepo is necessary. I had success with the mainline kernel (kernel-ml 4.9) from the ELRepo. Once the kernel is updated, fstab needs to be modified so that all partions are referenced by their UUID, not by the name. Once all of that is done, the disk can be cloned with Clonzilla from '/dev/sda' to '/dev/nvme0n1' or 'nvme1n1'

Once the 'dev/sda' drive has been removed, Centos 7 boots from the Nvme drive with the mainline kernel (4.9). The only mess to clean up after that is to get the NVidia driver up and running. Bumblebee is the best option for that. Hope this brief layout helps somebody to get CentOS 7 up and running on the P70. For the P50, it's probably best to do an install onto a USB drive (/dev/sdb instead of /dev/sda) with the same procedure as explained above.

Good Luck !

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save