Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jfgreen1
Paper Tape
Views: 3,974
Message 1 of 14

USB external keyboard stopped working

I have a Thinkpad P50 on which I am dual booting Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10.  Forer over a year I had no problems with USB devices or anything else.  A couple of weeks ago, my Apple generic USB keyboard began to intermittently fail on boot.  It didn't work at thed GRUB bootloader menu, and also did not work in either OS after completing the boot and login process.  I'm so lucky that the laptop's internal keyboard continues to work, if this happened on a desktop I'd be sunk.  Anyway, it stopped working completely the last couple of days; it's not intermittently working any more.  There were BIOS upgrades and OS updates in both OSes around the time it started happening, so, unfortunately, I can't tell which of them might have caused it.  Here are my observations:

1.  External USB keyboard does not function at the GRUB menu and also does not function in either OS.
2.  The keyboard (an Apple wired extended keyboard) works perfectly with my wife's Dell laptop running Windows 10, and also with my Macbook Pro.  I wish I had a different USB keyboard to test, but I don't.

3.  Other USB devices, including an external USB wireless mouse, work perfectly, even at the GRUB menu.

4.  I have not changed BIOS settings (well I tried some, but I set them back).  I certainly did not change any when it originally stopped working.

5.. I believe I am running the latest BIOS:  BIOS Version/Date LENOVO N1EET77W (1.50 ), 3/28/2018

I would appreciate any help or ideas anyone can provide for diagnosing and fixing this issue.  Thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,918
Message 2 of 14

Re: USB external keyboard stopped working

Hello,

Keyboard are typically handled as generic input devices that do not require a device driver for use, and I cannot think of a reason one would not work.  Have you tried plugging it into different USB ports?  If it still does not work, I would suggest obtaining another external USB keyboard (any generic model for PCs should do--I'd specifically suggest avodiing the Apple one for now) and seeing what difference that makes, if any.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

jfgreen1
Paper Tape
Views: 3,898
Message 3 of 14

Thank you very much for this reply.  You answered one of my questions by saying that usually a device driver is not required for keyboards.  Following your suggestion I swung by Walmart this morning and picked up a Logitech wireless USB keyboard.  **bleep**!  It works!  So, it dawns on me <forehead slap> that the Apple keyboard is bus powered, but the Logitech keyboard, and my mouse, and other USB devices, have batteries.  I'm now thinking that something is going on with my USB ports' bus power.  Any ideas?  I am happy to have a working external keyboard now, but it would be nice for bus powered devices to work, too.  Thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,890
Message 4 of 14

It may be that your apple keyboard needs some time to power up.  Try plugging it into the always-on USB port (on the back, toward the left side)

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
jfgreen1
Paper Tape
Views: 3,880
Message 5 of 14

Thanks for your response.  I have tested the Apple keyboard in all four of the USB ports including leaving it in the always on port overnight.  It does not work in any of them.  It does work in my wife's Dell laptop, and also in my Macbook Pro.  The only other bus-powered device I have is a bus-powered USB external hard drive.  That seems to work fine.  I'm kind of stuck on where to go from here.  Thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,849
Message 6 of 14

Hello,

The only thing that immediately comes to mind is to check and make sure that the Apple keyboard's USB cable is fitting snugly into the ThinkPad's USB ports.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

jfgreen1
Paper Tape
Views: 3,843
Message 7 of 14

Thanks. There were a couple of times that it seemed the cable was bad but later that was more or less ruled out as the keyboard worked on other computers but not mine. I found some nutty issues and solutions for Apple keyboards on some of the Apple forums (e.g. https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/167291/suddenly-apple-wired-keyboard-not-working) but so far they haven't worked for me. It appears to be some kind of peculiar interaction between this particular keyboard and this particular computer.
doyeop
What's DOS?
Views: 2,402
Message 8 of 14

I have have same problem on my new X1 extreme that I bought this month.(Feb.2019) but - my apple keyboard working good on X1 carbon yoga 4th generation. I think it is not a USB attachment issue...I need a solution....
doyeop
What's DOS?
Views: 2,385
Message 9 of 14

I found solution !
I connected USB 2.0 extending code(X) my lenovo likes -X1 extreme USB port < (X) > apple keyboard . It works eventually.

STEMApps
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,220
Message 10 of 14

I have keyboard problems as well on a brand new P52. It is some kind of contention issue that I have yet to find. My (wired) Razer devices ignore keystrokes almost totally but then burst out repeating the same letter when a key was pressed only once. The mouse responds by jerking across the screen if it responds at all.

Replacing the (wired) Razer devices (all brand new) with a (wired) Dell keyboard and (wired) Microsoft mouse improved vastly yet often the keyboard will refuse to respond to keystrokes for a moment and often bursts out 10-20 characters when the keyboard was pressed only once.

All USB devices are running through the Ultra Port. Keyboard and mouse in the two front USB ports. The P52 does not have but 2 USBs ports and one is for the Ultra port.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors