Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

64 Posts

03-16-2016

United States of America

1526 Signins

5585 Page Views

• Views: 5585
  • Message 1 of 6

Unable to Bring Up Options Menu at Boot Up

2016-09-01, 0:08 AM

My P50 will no longer bring up the Options Menu when I press enter at the boot prompt:

"To interrupt normal startup, press Enter"

I get the beep like it's going into the menu and then the Windows worry ring comes up and takes me into windows.

I can still get into the BIOS setup by pressing 'F1' or bring up the boot menu by pressing F11, but not the Options Menu.

I'm not sure if it's BIOS related or not, but I temporally flashed back to BIOS 1.29 to see if that would have any effect and it didn't.  The laptop refuses to let me flash any BIOS earlier than v1.29.

Are any other P50 owners having this issue?

Answer
Options

64 Posts

03-16-2016

United States of America

1526 Signins

5585 Page Views

Re: Unable to Bring Up Options Menu at Boot Up

2016-10-24, 1:22 AM

Problem Solved.

Required going into the BIOS and loading and saving Setup Defaults.

Mike

Replies(5)
Options

2646 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11261 Signins

60856 Page Views

• Views: 60856
  • Message 2 of 6

2016-09-01, 3:39 AM

I have the same experience with my P70 and BIOS 2.08.

As you've discovered, if you use F1 instead of ENTER, you will go directly into the BIOS Setup utility.

Previously, pressing ENTER would produce that intermetiate "boot interrupt menu" showing ESC to exit from the interrupt attempt and just continue with the normal boot process, F1 to enter Setup, F12 to select a boot device, etc.

But something Lenovo has recently done in these latest BIOS updates apparently for both P50 and P70 has broken this. ENTER no longer does anything except fail to do what the message presented says it will do.  It is supposed to give us that intermediate sub-menu, but it doesn't.  It changes the message shown from "press ENTER to interrupt..." to instead read "presenting boot interrupt menu", but then simply goes right to Windows (in my case it goes to Boot Manager) and does not ever present that boot interrupt menu.

Again, just use F1 instead of ENTER and you'll get to where you wanted to go, BIOS Setup utility.

Options

64 Posts

03-16-2016

United States of America

1526 Signins

5585 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2016-09-01, 3:58 AM

Thanks for verification that it's not just my Laptop.  It's nothing I can't work around easy enough, but I wouldn't have been very happy if it turned out to be something defective on my laptop.

I hope Lenovo is working on a fix in the next BIOS release.

Mike 

Options

64 Posts

03-16-2016

United States of America

1526 Signins

5585 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2016-10-05, 16:34 PM
LENVOVO TECH SUPPORT:

New BIOS 1.31 does not address this bug. Please forward this information to your BIOS Engineers.

Mike
Answer
Options

64 Posts

03-16-2016

United States of America

1526 Signins

5585 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2016-10-24, 1:22 AM

Problem Solved.

Required going into the BIOS and loading and saving Setup Defaults.

Mike

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2646 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11261 Signins

60856 Page Views

• Views: 60856
  • Message 6 of 6

2016-10-24, 4:46 AM

Indeed!!!  Although I had to run through the process TWICE to get it to "stick".

First time it had no effect, and I still didn't get the Startup Interrupt Menu when pressing ENTER.  But I didn't actually SAVE+EXIT immediately after initiating the "reset defaults" item.  I simply then proceeded to begin changing the setup options I wanted to change, and then pressed SAVE+EXIT at the very end.

No joy.  Note that I do NOT also "enable" the "OS optimized defaults" option, but rather leave it as "disabled".  I don't know if this might impact my Win7 environment if "enabled", so I just left it alone.  Thus the "reset BIOS defaults" result is NOT with "OS optimized defaults" enabled.

I decided to give it a second chance, this time simply resetting defaults and then immediately doing SAVE+EXIT.  I then re-booted, and clearly was looking at the BIOS defaults (e.g. "hybrid graphics", using Intel instead of my "discrete graphics" option using nVidia).

I then proceeded once again to re-customize.  When all done I then did a SAVE+EXIT, and re-booted.  I saw a brief message (from the BIOS, clearly) about "configuration changed", and then the machine re-booted again and presented the Lenovo red logo and "press ENTER" message.

I then pressed ENTER, and miraculously the expected startup interrupt menu appeared!

I hit ESC to procced to Boot Manager, and then once again CTRL+ALT+DELETE to re-boot.  And once again I pressed ENTER, and once again saw the startup interrupt menu.

So I would agree: CASE CLOSED!  Obviously a BIOS bug, relating somehow to some leftover NVRAM values perhaps from an old BIOS or an old customized setting.  Unclear which, but it obviously is erased by resetting the BIOS defaults, saving and exiting immediately just to ensure that all defaults get saved, and then re-booting to F1 and re-customizing and then save+exit.

I'm very happy again to have this anomaly disappear.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms