Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MountainX
Token Ring
Views: 871
Message 1 of 5

Unable to update w550s BIOS (Linux)

I have downloaded the current BIOS (n11ur12w.iso) and verified the md5sum is correct:

md5sum n11ur12w.iso 
dc67b2a8f22406a257401cea737bd423  n11ur12w.iso

I burned it to a USB stick using the usual `dd` command. First I used the simple approach:

dd if=n11ur12w.iso of=/dev/sde

That did not work. So I was a bit more careful the second time and I used:

dd if=n11ur12w.iso of=/dev/sde status=progress bs=1M iflag=fullblock

The dd command completed without problems, but the USB will still not boot. So I started investigating and that leads to my question. When I mount the iso file as shown below, should I see files?

mount -o loop n11ur12w.iso /mnt/iso

Here's all I see:

ls -la /mnt/iso/
total 2
dr-xr-xr-x 1 root  root  2048 Feb 27 18:20 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 user  user  278 Mar 20 19:04 ..

Is that normal? I downloaded the prior BIOS file (n11ur10w.iso) too, and checked it -- same thing. No files are visible on the device, when mounted as an ISO.

Side note: Lenovo needs to revamp their BIOS update process. Take a look at how easy it is to update a BIOS on an Intel NUC under any operating system, for example.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 862
Message 2 of 5

Re: Unable to update w550s BIOS (Linux)

Hi,

I see you've already joined an "update BIOS" thread in the Linux forum, so I won't move this thread there.

I don't know how to massage that ISO into something bootable.  Hopefully someone in the Linux forum can help.

I can say that I took a look at that ISO with 7zip and it looks like it should.   Also, ThinkPad models newer than yours include scripts to build a bootable flash drive in the BIOS download.  It's in the windows exe (for now at least) so it does require a Win machine or VM but it can be done w/out having to hand-build a bootable installer.

FWIW, and I realize this isn't of much (any) help just now.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

MountainX
Token Ring
Views: 860
Message 3 of 5

@zoltanthegypsywrote:

I can say that I took a look at that ISO with 7zip and it looks like it should. 

What should it look like? Can you post a directory listing of the files?

What is confusing me is that the md5sums match what is shown on the Lenovo download page, yet my image appears empty.

BTW, since you have access to a Windows machine, could you possibly post an extracted version of the .exe file as described in this thread?

How to perform bios upgrade with linux? - Lenovo Community https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/How-to-perform-bios-upgrade-with-linux/td-p/101157

That thread says executing the .exe file extracts its contents. Maybe you could put those into a zip file and attach here? Not sure if that's possible, but it sure would make life easier!

That give me another idea. Could you post the extraction script? Maybe I can convert it into a bash script... just a thought.

Highlighted
MountainX
Token Ring
Views: 840
Message 4 of 5

I was finally able to get my BIOS updated using the steps here:

Lenovo BIOS/UEFI update from USB stick (without bootable CD) | Tojaj's Blog http://tojaj.com/lenovo-biosuefi-update-from-usb-stick-i-e-without-bootable-cd/

This requires using a script called geteltorito (which is available in the Arch Linux AUR as well as at the link mentioned in the article above).

For Ubuntu users, it seems that the following article has a similar suggestion. I'm not using Ubuntu, so I didn't try it. But here is the link in case it helps anyone:

Upgrading Lenovo ThinkPad BIOS under Linux https://feeding.cloud.geek.nz/posts/upgrading-lenovo-thinkpad-bios-under-linux/

For any Arch Linux users, here are my exact steps:

1. Find the device name of my USB stick: lsblk -f

2. Zero out the first portion of my USB stick: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sde bs=1M count=40 status=progress

3. Make a bootable FAT32 partition on my USB stick: fdisk /dev/sde

4. Extract the image from the downloaded iso file as per the link above: /usr/bin/geteltorito.pl -o n11ur12w.img n11ur12w.iso

5. Burn that image to my USB stick: dd if=n11ur12w.img of=/dev/sde status=progress bs=1M iflag=fullblock

6. sync

7. reset the BIOS to defaults

8. boot up and choose F12 to select boot device

9. In the strange looking screen that appears, select "Update system program" and follow the instructions on the screen. Confirm steps using the instructions Lenovo provides with the BIOS file.

That's it.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 831
Message 5 of 5

Well done, and thanks for posting your solution.

I think we're past the need to post the contents of the  ISO, but I'll confirm that these BIOS ISOs tend to look empty when viewed by an unarchiving tool.  This comes up rather frequently in the forums.  The "eltorito" portion is where the working code is stashed, and it doesn't show up as files as it would in an "normal" archive.  (If that seems vague, it's because I haven't dug into the details...)

Thanks again, and kudos Smiley Happy

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors