Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chipman
Paper Tape
Views: 486
Message 1 of 2

Unable to use Rescue and Recovery to clone to Crucial Msata SSD drive

I  have a T520 and I did a complete backup  through Rescue and Recovery I did the back up to DVD. I then checked all the DVDs They all have data and are almost full. The T520 came with a Toshiba 500 gig HD, I have added a Crucial Msata 128 GiG, The T520 is running windows 7, an and I have loaded the programs I use and almost no data. The DVDs are marked as follows:

• Final SP Backup
  • Startup Disk
  • 1c
  • 2c
  • 3c
  • 4c
  • Final Q
  • Final C

All DVDs are full I Take out the Toshiba 500Gig put in my Crucial Msata Drive Boot with the Startup Disk select complete restore select from CD/DVD The T520 Asks for all the disks Some are only used for a few mnutes then after I put in final C It says it is going to reboot select  drive after reboot and then I get the error screen:

1. Insert Your windows installation Disc and restart your computer

2. Choose your language settings

3 Click Repair your computer

File: \windows\system32\winload.exe

The Selected Entry could not be loaded because the application os missing or corrupt.

When you receive a laptop from Lenovo they do not give you Windows 7 discs. So there is no way to do a srt. All I want to do is get the Msata drive to boot and run the os and all my loaded programs. This way it is faster and more efficient. Is there a simpler way. Please help I have only got about 40 hours into this mess. Thanks for any help from the experts.

Chipman

WolfWings
Token Ring
Views: 455
Message 2 of 2

Re: Unable to use Rescue and Recovery to clone to Crucial Msata SSD drive

The Windows 7 key on the laptop sticker will work with an off-the-shelf Windows 7 retail install ISO/DVD/etc, including the newer SP1 ISO's.

http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

The easiest way to re-install Windows 7 for me has been via USB flash drive, ESPECIALLY with UEFI on my W530 which applies to the T520 as well; here's the short list of commands to run through:

run (Win+R) Diskpart

• list disk
  • select disk X
  • clean
  • create partition primary
  • active
  • format fs=fat32 quick
  • assign

Note you'll need to figure out what number to put for X: In my W530 it's 3 because slots 0, 1, and 2 are the SSD, CD/DVD bay caddy, and internal hard drives respectively, so the USB flash drive ends up slot 3.

That done, copy ALL the contents of the .ISO for your version to the flash drive. 7-zip, WinRAR, use your tool of choice to extract the contents of the ISO entirely.

Next, go make a folder (in my case it's Drivers) and download ALL the drivers for your ThinkPad to there before you forget. Smiley Happy

Now, copy \efi\microsoft\boot up a level on the flash drive, so there's \efi\boot as well. You need to keep \efi\microsoft\boot existing as well though, so copy don't move.

Finally, copy the C:\Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi file from an existing Windows 7 install to \efi\boot\bootx64.efi on the flash drive.

Now when you reboot you should be able to install from that flash drive as a clean install, and get a UEFI install as well instead of a BIOS/MBR one.

Also once you've installed to the SSD remember to turn off Hibernation support entirely:

PowerCFG /H OFF

You will likely want to outright remove the virtual memory from touching the SSD as well. If you enable that on another drive or not is your choice, I skipped it entirely but I have over 10GB of RAM so YMMV. Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors