Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rubenski
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,866
Message 1 of 17

Unhappy with W541 2880x1620 IPS screen after purchase. Can it be replaced?

Hi,

I received my W541 Thinkpad today. After a few hours of working I am actually pretty unhappy with the huge resolution of the IPS screen. Text is of course tiny with such a resolution on a relatively small laptop screen so I adjusted the font size in Windows to 125% and later to 150%. This makes the text readable in most cases, but it has quite a number of drawbacks that I had not fully anticipated.

- In some programs, such as Chrome and some installer tools text is slightly blurred because of the scaling.

- Text scales but icons and margins and paddings in program panels do not, so text is relatively large to its surroundings which makes programs and left-click menu's look cramped and weird.

- Intellij (a Java IDE) is a tool that I use every day for hours. In Intellij I can't get the text 'right'. I can increase the font size of the program code, but it just doesn't look "nice". Besides that  I cannot get text in the Intellij console Window, such as Maven and Git output to scale so that is still tiny. Maybe there is some setting for this that I haven't found yet... [UPDATE] There is simply an option called 'console font' that lets me adjust the console font. This problem is solved...

All in all the IPS screen is a bit of a disappointing experience. I will work on this machine every day for the coming 4/5 years, so it needs to be right. And it is just the screen. Other than that it is a fine machine with a very good build quality.

What can I do? I bought 3 year accidental damage protection, but I assume that is not going to help me. Does Lenovo provide some kind of service for this situation? What I would like is for a Lenovo technician to come over and replace the screen with a regular 1920x1080 screen. I am willing to pay if that is required.

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,858
Message 2 of 17

Re: Unhappy with W541 2880x1620 IPS screen after purchase. Can it be replaced?

May sound like heresy, but might you consider an external monitor, like a 24" or 27" to support that high resolution?  If you are working from home, that seems possible.  Of course if you're on the road working and not at home, that's a different matter.

Can you not return/exchange the W541 from the vendor you bought it from?

rubenski
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,851
Message 3 of 17

An external monitor is not ideal for me. I often work at clients' offices or at home on the couch. 

I just read a discussion about someone being unhappy with the FHD screen. Maybe we can switch screens. Smiley Tongue Or maybe I should just stick with the IPS if the FHD is really as bad as suggested here:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-W-Series-Laptops/W541-screen-quality/td-p/2111036

I am used to the W530 1920x1080 screen which I really liked. If the W541 FHD screen is not on par with that one than I will stick to the IPS. Viewing angles and brightness on the IPS screen are good. Actually the brightness and viewing angles of the IPS remind me of the W530 1920x1080 screen.

rubenski
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,840
Message 4 of 17

The text rendering is very much dependent on the application or maybe application settings. See a comparison of Chrome (left) and Firefox on the IPS screen below. Firefox is much nicer.

chomevsfirefox.png

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,826
Message 5 of 17

I'm not a Chrome user. I use Firefox (including on my W530 with K1000m and 1920x1080 FHD screen, which looks beautiful).

Does Chrome have a "use hardware acceleration" as Firefox does (on its Options -> Advanced tab -> General sub-tab)?  My experience on desktop machines and external monitors is that hardware acceleration (from any graphics card) produces sharper clearer characters than software rendering.  This might be what you're seeing.

soymilk69
Punch Card
Views: 3,810
Message 6 of 17

firefox is overall better imo, but has scaling issues with embeded videoplayers and 3rd party web applications.

i just flip back to chrome when i find something broken in the current version of firefox.

firefox is still the go to for me.

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,790
Message 7 of 17

This is source of your issue http://annystudio.com/misc/anti-aliased-fonts-hurt/

IE9+ has horrible font rendering that can not be turned off. Firefox has full control over it.

Paper Tape
Views: 3,731
Message 8 of 17

Hehe I'm the guy unhappy with the 1080p screen. I have to say that if you go with the the 1080p TN display (the only display offered on the w541) you will probably not be happy. The quality of it is straight garbage. 

Lenovo is offering to take back my computer without a restocking fee after they sent a tech guy out to replace my screen. They actually upgraded my screen to a 3k, but after the tech guy installed it, it didn't work. The tech guy then said that they're going to replace my motherboard but I have to wait a couple of days till he gets the part. 

I'm really curious to see if the scaling issues are really that bad on the 3k because I think as lenovo w541 users it is our only hope. 

It really sucks because the laptop is such a solid machine in every other respect. Weight, batt life, cost, feel, everything!

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,720
Message 9 of 17

@RobatoTanto wrote:

I'm really curious to see if the scaling issues are really that bad on the 3k because I think as lenovo w541 users it is our only hope.

P50 comes with 4K IPS display option.

Punch Card
Views: 3,693
Message 10 of 17

I have the enhanced 2880x1620 screen on my T540. I never could get it dialed in to where something wasn't irritating. I changed the display to run at 1920x1080. Everything has the proper proportions now and looks great.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors