cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rubenski
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,571
Message 11 of 17

Re: Unhappy with W541 2880x1620 IPS screen after purchase. Can it be replaced?

@im2eric: running the screen on a non-native resolution is a bad idea. Font will be blurred or you might see black bars at the side of the screen. It does so when I set my video card to 1920x1080. The screen just wasn't designed for this and it will need to extrapolate pixels which makes things blurry.

I have decided to return the machine to Lenovo. I ordered it through the Dutch website via Digital Rivers and they allow you to return the laptop within 14 days after delivery for a full refund. So I am quite happy about that service. I actually hadn't looked into the return policy because I never imagined I would use that with a Lenovo laptop.

I am quite disappointed about this, because I REALLY like the build quality and the keyboard of Lenovo laptops, but there are two things that just didn't work for me.

1. IPS resolution is way too high for a laptop screen and has many drawbacks, as outlined in this thread.

2. I found it very hard to work with the buttonless touchpad. The bottom part of it registers movement of my thumb no matter how I configure the drivers. In the end it drove me crazy as I keep miss-clicking all the time. I noticed it is a problem that has been described quite often since these new touchpads were introduced on the w540. This guy has actually videod a completely new (inconventient) way of working around the flaws of the Lenovo touchpad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH3lpHDHaPw

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,566
Message 12 of 17

If you wait just a bit, probably right around the corner within the next month or two at worst (since Lenovo announced these for 4th quarter 2015) you should consider a new P50/P70.  They seem to have been designed to address all of the complaints users had since the W540 and newer were released.

In other words, physical button trackpad is back, HDD LED is back, indicator lights on keys are back, "discrete" graphics mode in BIOS (to 100% eliminate Intel graphics and Optimus mode and instead offer 100% nVidia mode like with the W530), etc. Many of the things Lenovo inexplicably eliminated or "cheapened" in the W540/W541/W550s have now been "professionalized" and restored in the P50/P70.  Looks VERY COMPETITIVE feature-wise.

As far as screen options are concerned, you've got (a) FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, (b) FHD Touch (1920 x 1080) IPS, or (c) 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS, to choose between.

I have a W530 that I love, purchased in April 2013.  15.7" 1920x1080 FHD screen.  But I have a feeling I will not be able to resist going for a new P70 with its 17" screen.  Not cheap (the P70 starts at $2K), but worth it.

rubenski
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,560
Message 13 of 17

That is very interesting advice. I did not know that. I just searched for a pic of the P50 and it actually has all the touchpad buttons! Whoo-hoo! I will wat for the P50 and order it with a good old 1920x1080 screen then.

I worked on a w530 with a 1920x1080 screen as well. They are indeed wonderful machines.  

Pardon me for starting a rant again, but I have just been working for 30 mins on the w541 again and it is a complete mystery to me why Lenovo decided to install a completely buttonless touchpad on the W540 and then solve only half of the problem on the W541 by only bringing back the top touchpad buttons. It is even more a mystery to me how they didn't implement a simple solution in the driver software by simply creating a check box that says "completely disable touch sensitivity in the lower 1 cm of the touchpad", like this guy suggested:

I know there is an option in the current driver software that lets you disable the lower region of the touchpad for "gestures", whatever that may be, but it doesn't solve the problem. The cursor still jumps very frequently when I work and I keep accidentally scrolling, resizing the screen, etc.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,547
Message 14 of 17

You will find this other thread very informative, regarding early looks and previews and "hands-on" for the P50/P70.

On the second page there are also links to the User Guide and Hardware Maintenance Manual, as well as to the graphics driver README which reveals that "discrete" mode in the BIOS to give 100% control to the nVidia GPU for laptop screen as well as for external monitors, last seen with the W530, has been returned.

Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 1,521
Message 15 of 17

$3,000 rant on:

>  In other words, physical button trackpad is back, HDD LED is back, indicator lights on keys are back, "discrete" graphics mode in BIOS (to 100% eliminate Intel graphics and Optimus mode and instead offer 100% nVidia mode like with the W530), etc. Many of the things Lenovo inexplicably eliminated or "cheapened" in the W540/W541/W550s have now been "professionalized" and restored in the P50/P70. 

Nice, but still stuck with this POS W540 bought on shill reviews, that is NOT A WORKSTATION! but a WORKAROUND STATION.

Lenovo should contact all owners of W540 with issues, and offer a wholesale price for the new REAL workstation WITH HHD light, proper lights under NumLock, CapLock, a proper track pad, properly labelled USB3 ports, - and far enough apart to be able actually use them!, lights on the power supply so you know the power is good, and the list is too long, but documented in my previous posts, or offer a trade up, and ship all the returned refubished W540 to some other 'world'.

Maybe Microsoft killed the laptop market, and Lenovo is an accomplice. :$3,000 rant off

Right now, it's a brick on the side of my workstation desk, running Fidelity Active Trader Pro and Amibroker, which it does very well, ut useless for real work.

BTW: Running at 1920x1080 resolution, Display set at Medium 125%

im2eric
Punch Card
Views: 1,464
Message 16 of 17

@rubenski: using the 1920x1080 (at 125%) resolution hasn't created any problems on my T540p. Sharpness in general seems at least as good as 2880x1620 and usability is much better. I haven't seen any degredation in font clarity and haven't seen any black bars or other junk you're reporting. I think it actually looks better than native 1920x1080, comparing to my 15" E6520 Dell Latitude, which is nice.

I tried for months to fix this "problem" and lost my window to return the laptop. Since I changed the resolution I've been able to use my laptop without having to make any tweeks to correct scaling. It's nice not to be continually frustrated and I don't even think about it anymore. I just notice how good the display looks now.

KenovaOne
Punch Card
Views: 925
Message 17 of 17

Hey. My Yoga 2 13 had the same problem. Just found this fix two years after purchase. I show you how to turn on proper scaling of mmc and installer programs with two registry entries. Clear fonts all around.

https://youtu.be/3w6SaeuCJ_o

If you're already comfortable with the registry, go to HKCU>Control Panel>Desktop and change the Win8 scaling key to "1" and add a new key "LogPixels" with a value 78 (which changes the windows default of 96 pixels to 120 pixels). You shouldn't need all of the compatibility fix stuff after this.

Crystal clear across the board for the first time!! Cheers!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals