cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WallStreetMase
Fanfold Paper
Views: 707
Message 1 of 5

Upgraded CPU in Lenovo W541 now have Intel HD 4600 Screen and Sound Driver issues

Ok the run down:

Lenovo Thinkpad W541 : 500 GB SSD : 32 GB ram : 3k Display : k2100m Discrete GPU : went from a 4910mq to 4940mx

Acquired said 4940mx from eBay about 5-6 months ago and waited to put it in. Well sat down last night put it in used Arctic Cool 4 thermal paste and it runs even cooler than before it seems never really benched before hand. Figure just do the long tear down be patient and reap the challenge.

Very stable before hand with limited issues from windows 10: Now directly after swap had issues where battery did not want to charge and the screen will go insane. Solution ! Yup a fresh install , Outcome battery works fine screen works till Intel HD 4600 Drivers get auto updated then goes back to crazy town. Only work around I've come across is to use my dock to other monitors as its stable here, undock screen goes bonkers. So after several formats playing with blocking updates , installing drivers from Intel and Lenovo manually same issue still remains.

Question can the integrated graphics of the CPU be bad? All test i throw at it says its good passes everything no hiccups. If i open device manager disable the Intel 4600 drivers and un dock screen is stable, when formatting and fresh install on generic Microsoft drivers, again stable. The problem imedianlty shows when the Intel HD 4600 drivers are loaded and yes I tried everyone on there site as well Lenovos to see if there was a winner. After much tinkering I turn to you guys and gals for help.

I can already here someone say did you put the old CPU back in and see if that fixed it ... no not yet the tear down takes a little bit and not convinced its bad unless the integrated graphics can go out. At one point after trying several scenarios when i had it docked i disabled the discrete quadro gpu and it maintained all 3 monitors no issues, this was a big surprise and led me to believe there is hope and that this is some sort of driver error, blip, or workaround.

I'm happy to work on this issue swiftly and can post details for future user issues. thank you for the read please give it some thought.

My thoughts have lead me to belive this is the Intel Black screen issue that can be found around the internet.

https://youtu.be/pdVFKFLRQXg

This guys youtube video is about the closet thing my screen will do exactly. That is only when I pull it from the dock or start off a dock, with the Drivers loaed. Mine wont recover at any point just flash mob you into insanity. Side note tried windows 7 did not help. Still tinkering with drivers for the 4600HD dang audio and video drivers just dont wana play nice. Audio I can just disable the culprit and be fine, Now this video ... It drives me crazy on dock works perfect off dock unusable ...

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 700
Message 2 of 5

Re: Upgraded CPU in Lenovo W541 now have Intel HD 4600 Screen and Sound Driver issues

Which drivers are you using, are they the latest generic drivers from Intel for the HD 4600 (20.19.15.4424 dated 3/31/2016) or the one pushed by Microsoft?   

WallStreetMase
Fanfold Paper
Views: 681
Message 3 of 5

Re: Upgraded CPU in Lenovo W541 now have Intel HD 4600 Screen and Sound Driver issues

1.PNGWindows Loaded This2.PNGUpdated to this Latest Version

As stated I've tried several but happy to contiune. As you asked I was back on 4256 / now back to 4424

problem remains the generic issues dont push to my dock and power multiple moniters but it runs the laptop fine ?

What next boss?

WallStreetMase
Fanfold Paper
Views: 672
Message 4 of 5

Here is a video of the problem im describing made it just for you guys!

DuctTapedGoat
What's DOS?
Views: 368
Message 5 of 5

From everything I've heard researching the dock (i do not own one), you have to uninstall and reinstall drivers while the dock is attached.

Feel free to do a little more research regarding W541 DOCK and VIDEO DRIVERS

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors