Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scottrlarson
Paper Tape
Views: 383
Message 1 of 10

Upgraded Factory SSD with Samsung 860 EVO SATA M.2 1TB Boot Failure

Hi I have a Lenovo Thinkpad P51 Partnumber: 20HH000TUS. The unit comes factory with a 512 SSD: MZ-VKW5120. I Imaged the Factory SSD with Macrium, Then Restored that image to the Samsung 860 EVO SATA M.2 1TB. Installed this SSD in place of the factory SSD. The Windows 10 boot process fails on the spinning logo and reboots. It does this a number of times before giving up and the Windows 10 Restore Dialog pops up. I attempt to fix boot problems using Windows 10 but that did not work.

So I moved the Samsung 860 EVO SATA M.2 1TB over to my desktop and it appears to boot fine. I checked to see if there was a bios update that might address this issue but did not find anything related to this issue except this entry:

- (Fix) Fixed hang-up issue where system sets Power-on and Hard Disk Password in NVMe

My P51 has a BIOS version: N1UET41W (1.15 ).

I was thinking of upgrading the BIOS but I just wanted to check with anyone else to see if they have had a simmilar issue or has any suggestions before I update the BIOS. Im concerned that its not going to fix the problem and I do not want to waste time updating the BIOS if this isnt going to work. This unit is heavley used and can not spare any down time unless I have no choice.

freddellmeister
Token Ring
Views: 326
Message 2 of 10

Re: Upgraded Factory SSD with Samsung 860 EVO SATA M.2 1TB Boot Failure

Can you try the other slot? Are you sure the disk is pushed in far enough?

I had a problem when using NMVe on P50 copied from the main SSD. WHen bumping it whiche sleeping it would not boot up again. The same bracket I used with SSD prevented it to be pushed in far enough.

I moved it to a new bracket and the other disk slot and I never faced an issue again. Ther is a ilttle play with most brackets and try screweing it down as close to the connector as possible. Maybe leaving a small gap between screw and bracket.

You can update the BIOS as well.

scottrlarson
Paper Tape
Views: 312
Message 3 of 10

Good call. Will look at that. The SSD not being inserted all the way very well could be an issue.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 299
Message 4 of 10

Hello,

You have switched from botting from a Samsung SM961 MZ-VKW5120 NVMe SSD to a a Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD.  My initial thought is you will need to inject the SATA (AHCI) drivers into the installed Windows 10 operating system so that it recognizes the SATA SSD and can boot from it. 

I have never done an NVMe to SATA migration myself, but the following might work:

1.  Power down the system (not just sleep, hibernate or suspend, but actual power off) and remove both the SM961 and the 860 EVO SSDs from the ThinkPad P51.

2.  Reinstall the Samsung SM961 NVMe SSD into the ThinkPad P51 and start it as you normally would.  Once you have finished logging in, wait a minute or so for all disk activity to cease, and then power down the system again.

3.  Install the Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD into the ThinkPad P51 (I believe an M.2 tray may be required), power up, and enter the BIOS (UEFI) firmware.  Both the NVMe and SATA SSDs should be present and recognized. 

4.  Start the system as normal from the Samsung SM961 NVMe SSD and log in as you normally would.  Once you have finished logging in, wait a minute for all disk activity to cease, then open the Device Manager (filename: DEVMGMT.MSC) and verify the Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD appears in the Disk Drives section and the Intel SATA AHCI Controller appears in the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers section (I know it's weird to see the SATA driver in the IDE section, but that's where it is, at least in my copy of Windows 10).  Once you have verified the Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD is present in the Device Manager, close the program.

5.  Run Disk Management (filename: DISKMGMT.MSC) and verify the Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD is present.  Delete its partitioning and perform a quick format of the drive, just to verify it is recognized and capable of being formatted within the operating system.

At this point, try using your disk cloning software again to copy the operating system from the Samsung PM961 NVMe SSD to the Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD, following the steps you previously used.  Since the now-cloned operating system recognized the SATA SSD before it was cloned, hopefully it will work this time.

If it does not work, I would suggest contacting the disk cloning software company and ask them how to use their software to perform an NVMe to SATA migration.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

SeniorGuru
Views: 274
Message 5 of 10

@scottrlarson wrote:

Hi I have a Lenovo Thinkpad P51 Partnumber: 20HH000TUS. The unit comes factory with a 512 SSD: MZ-VKW5120. I Imaged the Factory SSD with Macrium, Then Restored that image to the Samsung 860 EVO SATA M.2 1TB. Installed this SSD in place of the factory SSD. The Windows 10 boot process fails on the spinning logo and reboots. It does this a number of times before giving up and the Windows 10 Restore Dialog pops up. I attempt to fix boot problems using Windows 10 but that did not work.

Just out of curiosity, after cloning (i.e. backup from MZ-VKW5120 NVMe and then restore to 860 EVO SATA), did you get into the BIOS to change the Startup -> Boot sequence to point to the 860 EVO as your boot drive (after USB devices, of course)?

Or, have you at least tried pressing F12 repeatedly when you power the machine on, to cause the BIOS to enter its "boot device choice" dialog?  At that point navigate to the 860 EVO and ENTER. Do you still fail to boot?

There shouldn't be any reason you can't do what you've done, even with the boot device change from NVMe to SATA.  That shouldn't bother Win10 at all.

freddellmeister
Token Ring
Views: 208
Message 6 of 10

Great point,

I would keep NVMe as boot for the performance advantage and add the SSD on the second slot for D: added storage.

Order an empty SSD bracket on eBay if you dont have one.

scottrlarson
Paper Tape
Views: 192
Message 7 of 10

So after goretsky pointed out I'm switch from a NVME SSD to a SATA SSD for performance reasons I decided that i want to get a 1tb NVME Samsung SSD. So I ordered that and it should arrive tomorrow. I am going to replicate the cloning process and check the insertion. Ill post back with my results Monday. Thanks for all the input I will continue working on this until I find a fix.

freddellmeister
Token Ring
Views: 184
Message 8 of 10

Just as an encoragement, on my P50 I successfully moved boot from a 512GB SATA SSD to a 1TB Lenovo/Samsung pm981 NVMe.

Swiz
Paper Tape
Views: 164
Message 9 of 10

I have a p52s and after many months of headache I realized the clamp on the m.2 ssd bay was damaged. It is tiny and until I held it up to my face I could not see that it was poorly securing the ribbon cable into place. I replaced it and carefully installed the new one. no more problems. I was expericing a very similar issue to yours before all of this.

Swiz
Paper Tape
Views: 162
Message 10 of 10

Do you have Samsung Magician installed and have you explored all the latest drivers on the lenovo page? I ended up doing a fresh windows install with mine and found lots of drivers online that I did not know about, all critical updates for SSD and m.2 devices.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors