Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deanej
Fanfold Paper
Views: 687
Message 1 of 4

Upgrading to Windows 7

I originally posted this in the Windows 7 forum, but since I've received no response, I'm reposting it here.

Next week [note: now three days from now] I plan to upgrade my Vista W500 to Windows 7 (with a clean install from the upgrade discs I got via the upgrade program).  Are there any possible issues I should be aware of?  In particular I've heard about issues with the switchable graphics - are those solved (I use that feature all the time)?  I'd also be interested in any advice you feel is warranted.  Also, is there a way to make the ThinkVantage button on the keyboard do something?  Since the Productivity Center is discontinued I'd like to not have a useless button on the keyboard.  Thanks!

OrosAraba
Punch Card
Views: 665
Message 2 of 4

Re: Upgrading to Windows 7

I'm running windows 7 ultimate on my w500 for half a year now with no problems. I made a fresh install from the win 7 installation disc thou. Didn't want all the bloatware stuff from the original vista install and then upgrade to 7.

Went to the driver site and only picked what I needed. As I recall I never had any issues with the switchable graphics after installting the drivers and software for it. Working a charm today at least. I don't use the thinkvantage button... and never have, only at boot for bios. Just pressed it now within windows and nothing happened, and I didn't feel bad in any way about that Smiley Happy

nanovox
Punch Card
Views: 644
Message 3 of 4

I found this website that explains how to re-bind the Thinkpad button to run a different program.  Can't test it myself right now.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkVantage_Button

deanej
Fanfold Paper
Views: 609
Message 4 of 4

Thanks for the information/tip!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors