Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HardBop
Fanfold Paper
Views: 351
Message 1 of 4

Use P51s recovery medium on P50?

I searched but couldn't find an answer. Apologies if I missed it. Recently bought a P51s, MTM 20JY-0009US, which came with Win 7 Pro downgrade from Win 10 factory installed. Made the Win 7 recovery USB stick, as well as downloaded the Lenovo Win 10 recovery image for later use. In the last few days, I bought a refurbished P50, MTM 20EN-X003US, from the Lenovo outlet with Win 10 Pro installed. I would like to put Win 7 on it, which I am told I may through Win 10 downgrade rights. I have an OEM Win 7 license & disk I could use but I wonder if I can use the recovery stick from the P51s. The machines' respective specs seem very similar (same type/speed of RAM, i7-6xxx processors, etc.) but will it actually work? Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 327
Message 2 of 4

Re: Use P51s recovery medium on P50?

If it is Lenovo media, it will have a list of allowable types.  If it doesn't match, it won't install correctly.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
HardBop
Fanfold Paper
Views: 285
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply, Rich. No, as I said it is the recovery stick I made using the P51s, not medium from Lenovo. Anyway, I just tried it (What the heck...) and it would not boot. Thanks again.

HardBop
Fanfold Paper
Views: 251
Message 4 of 4

To finish the story: I called customer service and asked for Windows 7 recovery media for this model. They graciously agreed to send DVDs at no charge and I got them the next day. It installed perfectly via external drive and is working well. I've been very happy with ThinkPad customer service over the years.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors