Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

11-24-2008

VT

23 Signins

130 Page Views

• Views: 130
  • Message 1 of 9

Using other Wacom pens with digitizer on the W700?

2008-11-24, 19:50 PM

Hi All,

I just got my W700 and it rocks.  The digitizer is great, but I need a pen with 3 buttons.  Click middle click and right click... much like a normal wacom pen.  I have a standard wacom tablet and would like to use that pen on the W700.  Does any one know how I can get my wacom pen to work on my W700?

Thanks!

Jason

Options

74 Posts

09-04-2008

Japan

530 Signins

1531 Page Views

• Views: 1531
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Using other Wacom pens with digitizer on the W700?

2008-11-25, 1:46 AM

Hey jtaylor, I got my W700 yesterday and I'm having the same problem as you do. One of the main reasons why I got this machine is because of the wacom!! I tried my Intuos pen but obviously it doesn't work. I need a pen with 2 buttons (I think you mean 2 and not 3) instead of just one to be able to use Maya... unfortunately the wacom drivers and control panel are laid out to use only one button if you try to configure the pen.

The pen itself is pretty cheap and I wonder what lenovo was thinking when they ordered such a pen to wacom... no real pro will use this toy for work!! The tablet itself is good and the size at least for me, feels comfortable (and I use the 12X9!) and the distance from the edge of the computer (where the tablet ends) to the surface is not too bad and I can control any point of the tablet without too much trouble in Photoshop.

Here is something I'll try tonight. Since the bamboo is similar to the wacom in the W700 and I need to install XP 64bit to use the full 4gig of ram and to get rid of all the crap that was intalled from the factory, I'll use the bamboo's driver and see if it works. I believe the bamboo as a 2 side buttons as an Intuos and maybe my other pens might work.I wonder if Lenovo will treat us with a new driver that supports 2 button pens on the W700 before Christmas...

Options

4 Posts

11-24-2008

VT

23 Signins

130 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2008-11-25, 2:33 AM

Hi Pepe,

Yeah I meant 2 buttons. :O)  Yes I'm a 3D animator and not having a two button mouse is a bit hard to use.  Evertyhing else about the tablet is great.  Are you using maya?  Do you have a strange delay when rotating stuff with hte pen?  Like it moves on its own for a sec in a straight line and then free's up and lets you rotate?  It does'nt do it im XSI... not sure aht that problem is.

Let me know how your bamboo and xp tests go.  I've very interested.

Lenovo... can we get some drivers to allow other wacom pens to work withthe built in wacom pad?

Thanks!

Jason

Options

4 Posts

11-24-2008

VT

23 Signins

130 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2008-11-25, 2:40 AM

Oops!  This is green and says solved.... nope!   Disregard that.... must be an accidental click.

Anyone know how to turn off the "press and hold as right click" option on the pen?

-J

Options

5884 Posts

11-24-2007

United States of America

12810 Signins

291275 Page Views

• Views: 291275
  • Message 5 of 9

2008-11-25, 4:05 AM

jtaylor wrote:
Lenovo... can we get some drivers to allow other wacom pens to work withthe built in wacom pad?

Oops!  This is green and says solved.... nope!   Disregard that.... must be an accidental click.

Anyone know how to turn off the "press and hold as right click" option on the pen?

the RFID expected by the digitizer controller chip determines what pen works.   to the best of my knowledge there's no way to update the digitizer's controller microcode.   you might want to call wacom to see what they have to say about it.   i've tried my intuos3 pen with an X61T and they don't work either.

i've unmarked your post as solved.

the 'pen and input devices' control panel handles the "press and hold" settings.

Message Edited by erik on 11-24-2008 11:06 PM

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

Options

5884 Posts

11-24-2007

United States of America

12810 Signins

291275 Page Views

• Views: 291275
  • Message 6 of 9

2008-11-25, 4:11 AM

Pepe wrote:

The pen itself is pretty cheap and I wonder what lenovo was thinking when they ordered such a pen to wacom... no real pro will use this toy for work!!

it's the same pen found on X60/X61 tablet models.   i agree that a two-button pen is mandatory.   an intuos3 pen, while big in comparison, is definitely a better input device.

maybe next time. :)

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

Options

74 Posts

09-04-2008

Japan

530 Signins

1531 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2008-11-25, 7:19 AM

I can`t believe I paid $5000 on a laptop targeted to artists and end up getting a one button pen for the tablet... I already emailed wacom`s developer support. I`ll keep you posted with whatever answer I get. Lenovo should definitely keep a clear info of whatever they sell. A housewife might not care about certain components if she just wants to surf the net but she won't buy a W700 either! I`m not talking about just the pen, but the tablet itself, hte hardrives, the screen...

jtaylor, I`ll try with Maya tonight too. I`m so busy at work right now.

And thanks for looking into this Erik!

Options

74 Posts

09-04-2008

Japan

530 Signins

1531 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2008-11-26, 2:53 AM

Ok, the bad news first. The bamboo drivers don't make my Intuos pen to wok on the W700's tablet nor do the Intuos drivers.

The good news... I got a message from a developer at Wacom suggesting to use the tablet PC drivers and get a tablet PC pen with 2 buttons. I thought this person didn't really know what the W700 looked like (maybe he thought it was another tablet PC) and  I wrote him again with some info and specs about the machine. This are his 2 replies:

You can use this stylus:
http://direct.wacom.com/stores/5/Penabled_Tablet_PC_Pen_with_Du_P1052C72.cfm

and go here for a TabletPC driver:
http://www.wacom.com/productsupport/select.cfm

Yep - that's our stylus. What I recommended should work.

The Bamboo and Intuos use a different technology (TabletPCs are 
usually battery powered so they use our lowest power technology).

It doesn't make much sense to me and unfortuantely I don't own a Tablet PC pen to test. I might take my W700 around Akiba and Shinjuku this weekend with the tablet PC driver installed and see if they let me try some pens. I can not buy and return stuff like you guys in the US!! >_<

If anybody wants to try it out, please let us know if it works!!!

And  jtaylor, Maya flyies with the Quadro FX 3700M! Much, much faster than my Quadro 1700 at work, even with antialiasing on. No problems when turning geometry around though. Now, if we get a 2 side buttom pen to work on our W700...

Options

74 Posts

09-04-2008

Japan

530 Signins

1531 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2008-12-02, 2:27 AM

After getting some help from QFoam, reading many posts at http://www.tabletpcreview.com/ and confirming all the learned info with a Wacom developer I purchased a Cintiq 18SX pen (with 2 side buttons) from Amazon and tried it last night...

It works beautifully and the difference is huge compared to the pen that the W700 comes with!!

But... the 2 buttons are still not working. Right now I'm under Vista 64bit just for testing purposes. When using the preinstalled XP Pro 32bit, the one button from the bulked pen worked fine. Now, I can't even make one button work unless I turn on the setting from the "Pen and Input devices" Control Panel, "Pen Options" tab but not always works and I always see a circle following my arrow (and yes I also uncheck those circles under "Pointer Options"). The Wacom properties window only shows one button to be configured and when changed to "right click" function, this doesn't make it work either.

I have tried several drivers (always uninstalling the previous ones and rebooting every single time), from the Lenovo's site "Wacom Digitizer Driver for Windows Vista and XP_5.0.8-8.exe" as well as several Tablet PC drivers from the Wacom site (when doing so and trying to change the settings of the pen, a window will come up warning me that there was not a hardware compatible installed) and nothing let me get the 2 button configuration option.

I just hope Wacom will release a new driver allowing W700 users to use a 2 button pen... or am I doing something wrong?

I'll try under XP 64bit tonight again...

By the way jtaylor, I got the same "lag" problem you mentioned when using Maya under Vista Ultimate 64bit...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms