Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RLatND
Token Ring
Views: 3,967
Message 81 of 377

Re: Very loud sound cracks using W530 in docking station

While I agree that this is highly annoying and the lack of follow-up thus far does not meet my expectations, however it is not that difficult for me to dock T530 and then plug the speaker cable directly into side of the laptop.  It is not very professional looking and Lenovo needs to resolve the problem, but it's not such a big problem that it totally prevents me from using the system.

zsero
Punch Card
Views: 3,957
Message 82 of 377

@kminard: In this case (thank you for explanation): I am 100% sure that you need to invest in some proper USB DAC solution. I mean, even if everything would be perfect with the onboard audio, for any DDC stuff, you just cannot afford the quality of an onboard chip.

Look on this list for options:

http://www.headfonia.com/source-recommendations/

For professional sound (with high quality RCA and optical outputs) I can recommend the Audinst HUD-MX1, it has really high-end 24-bit / 96 khz sound and uses the built-in Microsoft drivers, thus there are no bugs or anything driver-wise. The only problem that it ships form Hong Kong, but I can assure you that it really is a professional product with high-end sound.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audinst-HUD-mx1-Hi-Fi-USB-Audio-DAC-/180972278232?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifier...

But for your case, it might be easier to buy the Fiio E10 from Amazon. You'll get a much higher quality sound compared to any built-in solution, proper headphone output and no cracks or driver bugs (I think it uses the Microsoft stack too):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VO7LG6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=headfonia-20&linkCode=as2&ca...

$65 dollars compared to support, machine replacement, software reinstallation, etc. is nothing.

kminard
Punch Card
Views: 3,948
Message 83 of 377

When you are simply using audio queues for animating a mouth against vocals or movement of an object against external influences, sound quality is the least important aspect. I would not care if the sound was even mono vs. stereo... but the pops that happen before and after the beginning of each sound make the animator jump in their seat. We have the speakers set at a high level and then, for example, animate a mouth against a voice over recording in slow motion. It's loud so the animator can hear the syllables in the dialog. we are constantly moving the audio track forward and reverse against in slow motion against the animated frames. Again, we could care less about audio quality at this stage. Going out and buying 70 new USB audio adapters or some other solution when we paid for this to be incorporated on the machine's local assembly is very frustrating, especially since the Lenovo technicians say they can reproduce the problem and then stall and make excuses and never actually give any feedback as to what is happening. The direct contact aspect through Atlanta is just as bad... so the forum channel has its flaws but the snail’s pace corporate channel is even more frustrating.

zsero
Punch Card
Views: 3,945
Message 84 of 377

@kminard: As your company is working with software you should know that the software side is just as important when you're talking about the quality of an audio adapter. These cheap onboard adapters have so many driver problems, the one you are experiencing now is just one annyoing one. On the long term, you should really invest in either something from a professional company like Avid / M-Audio or a USB solution what uses the Microsoft stack, thus having no driver / bugs / latency issues.

lenovo-newbie
What's DOS?
Views: 3,912
Message 85 of 377

Hi,

I´m really surprised, how you try to meddle in a companies plans.

At first: its their decision how they use their laptops. If it is enough just to use the cheap sound-system then it is ok. You don´t have to understand that. It is their decision. Point.

Second: If you pay 2000 dollars or more then you can claim quality. Meaning, that everything is working properly. I don´t think, that it look professional, if a customers is visiting you, and you inform him, that you use a additional equipment. And why sould I pay for something that has to work?

What would you do if your car had sound problems? Buy a new soundsystem on your own, or would you demand what you have paid for?

It is not our problem as customers that things have to work. We are users. And if Lenovo is even lying (because they promised different things) then I agree with everyone, that this is not ok.

For my thing: I don´t think, that Lenovo can fix this, because it is not a driver problem. It is a hardware problem (otherwise, they would inform us about a software problem).

-> My opinion: they won´t help us. And we have to decide either to give back this Laptop or to use additional equipment.

Highlighted
Former Administrator
Views: 3,829
Message 86 of 377

All,

We are working to address this, and it does look like (at this point) that it may be a hardware fix.

Perhaps we can have some more information in terms of when this may be available.

I know this is becoming a sore point, and I would like to see us provide the solution.

I'd also like to add, in defense of NINE that until we have a final, agreed fix, and implementation date, that we have to be careful what we say based on information obtained from internal cases.  

Thanks

Mark

Davidvf
Punch Card
Views: 3,712
Message 87 of 377

You can add me to the growing list of unhappy audio pop dock users.Seriously where's the QA/QC that Thinkpad's once represented?

Thinkpad P1 (Model 20MDCTO1WWW Tx) - Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E-2176M vPro Processor, Nvidia P2000 4Gb, 64GB DDR4 2666 SODIMM
Thinkpad X1 Carbon (Model 20FB)
lenovo-newbie
What's DOS?
Views: 3,703
Message 88 of 377

As I thought it is a hardware problem.

So how whant lenovo fix this? With new Motherboard? This would be the only solution.

Regards.

SSDee
Token Ring
Views: 3,691
Message 89 of 377

Does anyone believe Lenovo is going to have a recall to fix this problem? It's not going to happen.

Edit - @RLat - Call it what you will, it will involve the shipping back of the computer and/or dock - not a pleasant thought.

RLatND
Token Ring
Views: 3,679
Message 90 of 377

Recalls for most products typically only occur for safety issues, so I highly doubt there would be one.  However, I would hope that they would create a service bulletin (similar as auto manufacturers do) so that when you report this problem they have a designated path to resolution.

Maybe they'll be able to address the hardware issue in the docking station, rather than the computer. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors