Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
metro
What's DOS?
Views: 1,809
Message 171 of 377

Re: Very loud sound cracks using W530 in docking station

Received my W530 and MiniDock and it is doing the same thing! I only wish that I had seen this before I bought. I cant believe this has gone on for almost 4 months and no solutions yet??

kminard
Punch Card
Views: 1,800
Message 172 of 377

Mark,

Any updates?  Looks like some users are able to get the new updated main boards.  Have never heard anything here yet as promised.

Please let us know!

K

kminard
Punch Card
Views: 1,800
Message 173 of 377

Cleo,

Any updates?  Looks like some users are able to get the new updated main boards.  Have never heard anything here yet as promised.

Please let us know!

K

ttttrigg3r
Paper Tape
Views: 1,772
Message 174 of 377

I just received my laptop and dock and found this problem. Who do I contact? Do I call customer service? Do I contact the admin here? Can someone help?

ttttrigg3r
Paper Tape
Views: 1,766
Message 175 of 377

Betreff: Very loud sound cracks using W530 in docking station

Andreas do you have a way to hide the program running? I have your quick solution right now running on my taskbar and I would like to have it hidden maybe in the tray icon.
dragon-fly
HDMI
Views: 1,749
Message 176 of 377

your only options are:

Buy an external usb sound card (what i did)

Loop soundless sound ( to keep sound card from shutting off)

Plug sound directly into the laptop.

Create a RMA, lose the laptop for 2+ weeks and pray you get someone in the know who isnt a crook and who would just swap the board for the same board. (so far - we've had many reports of lenovo personel having no clue and sending replacement docks which obviously didnt solve anything)

Get a ->refund<- and buy another laptop model (excluding the T530 since it has the same problem) Or ->other brand.<-

From what i`ve seen, the only report was that it was "available" - by a nameless sales rep. However, there was no such guarantee that such board was in use, and in my opinion, probably will not be used unless a RMA is created. No confirmation of a RMA sucessfully receiving a board with the fix.

Problem is clearly hardware, but can clearly be fixed by software, but lenovo's take was that it was a hardware problem. Who knows if this new "revised" board will have the issue corrected or not, or other problems or not - it has yet to appear.

My opinion? Lenovo will never fix this and will stall long enough for the next generation to appear and then sweep this problem under the carpet.

Why is my opinion such? I own a T400. Had problems with it. Problems still unresolved Three generations later.

Other people have had other issues and they were never resolved.

Good luck.

so far:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pearf

Quick update: IBM serice guy replaced my system board and problem was NOT fixed! The replacement board was manufactured in september so this couldn't be one with the problem fixed.

Man, the rep on the telephone promised me that this would be the final solution. I'm very disappointed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

and here is lenovo's official report

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Very-loud-sound-cracks-using-W530-in-docking-s...

P.S.:

I'll be impressed if i am proven wrong and MAY consider another lenovo product in the future, otherwise, this is my last lenovo laptop. my next one will most likely be another brand's laptop with which i have recently had to deal with for warranty/issues purposes and which response time was superb, and the base warranty is minimum 3 years - as it should be for a PREMIUM product, unlike lenovo's 1 year basic - and the price isnt much different too for those saying that "you pay" for it.

andreas_k
Paper Tape
Views: 1,722
Message 177 of 377

@ttttrigg3r wrote:
Andreas do you have a way to hide the program running? I have your quick solution right now running on my taskbar and I would like to have it hidden maybe in the tray icon.

Hi, there is a possibility with a tool called Quiet.exe, which can span the Sounder.exe and the soundless sound loop and then exit: http://www.joeware.net/freetools/tools/quiet/index.htm

Call first the sounder.exe within a BAT-File: 
quiet.exe sounder.exe /loop 1000 silence.wav

Quiet.exe spawns and exits immediately, so should do your command/BAT prompt window.

So you dont see nothing of sounder.exe, except in the process list of the task manager: sounder.exe

With another BAT-file, you can then stop this process:
taskkill /F /IM sounder.exe, taskkill is a Windows command

You can put these two start/stop command in separate BATs as link in the task bar.
In the tray icon only with major programming.

Regards,
Andreas

PS: This all could be done easily by Lenovo itself, integrating such a patch in the shutdown/startup/hibernate/etc. events of the laptop! I am sure there a even more tricks to silence the sound card cracks, with muting/restoring the volume, etc.
Come on Lenovo, this is my first Lenovo product, don't disappoint me!

Sachelis
Paper Tape
Views: 1,471
Message 178 of 377

Just bought a T530. Same problem. Discouraging... One other choice (it seems) is to plug the audio jack into the ThinkPad rather than into the dock.

mlmathews
Paper Tape
Views: 1,445
Message 179 of 377

I had the same issue with my new W530 and docking station but discovered a fortunate workaround in my case. I'm using the DisplayPort connectors on the docking station and the DisplayPort connection passes audio to my primary monitor, which has an output jack. So I unplugged my speakers from the docking station and plugged them in to the jack on the back of  my monitor. The sound via the DisplayPort connection does not have the pops.

fwiw: My primary monitor is a Samsung SMS27A850.

kendue
What's DOS?
Views: 1,116
Message 180 of 377

Same problem with a brand new W530 and the docking station with usb 3. I've owned many Thinkpads over the years and this will be my last unless Lenovo fixes the problem. But based on how long this has gone on I am not hopeful and will likely be returning the laptop and docking station. How did this problem not show up in quality testing???

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors