I have the W500 (4061-BK8) with 512MB ATI FireGL V5700 and have disabled Switchable graphics and set graphics adapter to Discrete before installing Windows in the BIOS (after I updated to the latest BIOS)
1) Installed Windows 7 x64
2) Installed recommended Windows Updates and Lenovo System Update Utility 4 and rebooted
Hotfix for Windows (KB979155)
Security update for Windows 7 x64 (KB978601, KB979309)
ATI Mobile Radeon HD 3650
3) System sees ATI Mobile Radeon HD 3650
4) Installed ATI Mobile 8.641.1.1-090824a-089811C-Lenovo from Update Utility 5) System sees ATI Mobility FireGL V5700 and resolution 1920x1200 (but its not)
6) Installed LCD Monitor file for Windows 7 (ver 4.34) and Display shows Thinkpad Display (1920x1200)
7) Installed all other Windows updates
The system came with Windows XP and resolution at 1920x1200 so I know that the Windows 7 resolution I'm seeing is not 1920x1200 even though Desktop -> Screen resolution is showing Resolution 1920x1200 (recommended).
As displayed, it looks more like 1280x800. I have tried changing the resolution lower and putting back to 1920x1200 but that didn't help either.
I have also tried installing Windows 7 with both (x86 and x64) and the default BIOS settings and got the same result where the ATI Mobility FireGL V5700 is not a 1920x1200 resolution.
Is it not displaying 1920 X 1200 or is there some other setting that needs to be adjusted?
Even though the resolution may be correct (1920x1200), if the DPI setting is set to 125% (DPI 120) which is default when you install Windows 7 on a W500. That makes the resolution appear lower than 1920 X1200 . For Windows XP the default DPI is 96 on the W500.
To correct this:
Right click the desktop and select "Screen resolution", then click on "Make text and other items smaller or larger". Check if the DPI settings it set to 125% (120) which i believe might be the case. Change it to 100% (96), logoff and logon again. The display should now appear sized appropriately for 1920x1200. 100% is equal to 96 pixles per inch and 125% is equal to 120 pixels per inch.