cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WolfWings
Token Ring
Views: 690
Message 11 of 13

Re: W500 Intel wifi Link 5300 AGN- No N?

Ah, in this case WMM is doing what it's supposed to unfortunately: It prevents a download (the speed test) from consuming 100% of the bandwidth, to keep a large portion set aside for multiple streams and more importantly to make sure things like VoIP phones, streaming webcam chats, or just plain streaming video (NetFlix, etc, from another computer) won't hiccup during the download/speed-test from your computer.

Also, anything above 54MBit/second is "N" mode, so if you still get better than 54MBit w/ WMM disabled on the router you are getting the benefits of N-mode in the form of better latency, etc. It may be that the router supports a slightly lower maximum speed w/ WMM disabled than enabled, I've seen stranger limitations occur. Smiley Happy

Wendel
802.11n
Views: 685
Message 12 of 13

That makes perfect sense although you'd think if no other program with a higher priority was active then the current download program (browser) would get all the bandwidth.

I will try and set my browser as having highest priority in the router settings and see if that helps. Again, thank you for your insight.

WolfWings
Token Ring
Views: 675
Message 13 of 13

Well, the issue is if all the bandwidth is granted to any one thing when everything is idle, there's no way to support letting something else 'join in' afterwards because they'll have delays even getting the initial connection started, etc.

And there's no way to know when this second person might show up, thus... it keeps part of the bandwidth set aside. Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors