Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Commando303
Token Ring
Views: 3,096
Message 1 of 5

W500 Seagate Hybrid 1TB SSHD Drive

Having just upgraded my ThinkPad W500's 320GB Seagate hard drive to a 1TB Seagate SSHD (hybrid) hard drive, using Drive Ware to clone the old drive to the new, everything seems to be O.K., EXCEPT Windows is behaving odd: the Start menu search function will not work, and neither will Windows Update and several other features.

Anyone face this problem? Some Internet searches have led me to believe the issue might be due to 4K Advanced Storage (found on the new drive) being incompatible with the computer, but I am lost to what, if anything, I should do. I'm running Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit.

Any advice, if this won't work, to an internal 1TB hard drive for the W500?

Thanks very much.

alphaman
Token Ring
Views: 3,075
Message 2 of 5

Re: W500 Seagate Hybrid 1TB SSHD Drive

I never trust cloning a HDD. Especially if it's an SSD or SSD based.
9/10 there are problems. You're better installing from scratch as Windows will install slightly different when it detects being installed on an SSD.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,063
Message 3 of 5

Hi Commando303,

It does sound like it might be an Advanced Format issue.  What operating system are you running?

There's a MS update that might help.  Installing the latest Intel storage driver might also do the trick.

[edit] Found the KB article: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-7-Knowledge-Base/Windows-Update-Fails-After-Installing-New-Hard-...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Commando303
Token Ring
Views: 3,053
Message 4 of 5

Hi. Had no luck, even after working with Seagate's customer services reps. — had to return the drive.

Can anyone suggest a hard drive they've successfully upgraded their W500 ThinkPad with? I want something with 1TB of space (my current drive is only 320GB).

Thank you.

Commando303
Token Ring
Views: 3,005
Message 5 of 5

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors