Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tvw
Paper Tape
Views: 2,965
Message 1 of 15

W500 and Intel Wifi Link 5100

Hi,

since my WLAN Card seems to be broken I bought myself a new Intel Wifi Link 5100 for my W500. After I replaced the old card with the new one, I get a "1802 unauthorized network card error".

I googled for the problem an now I am completely pissed about lenovo. My W500 has a standard slot for such cards, but the W500 has a bios which checks cards against a whitelist and I cannot turn this completely useless check off.

Any idea what I could do?

2 weeks ago I started thinking about buying a new notebook after christmas. Now I wonder, whether the W530 suffers from the same problem. In the moment I am not sure, whether it makes any sense to buy another lenovo product, when it turns out, it could be crippled the same way as my W500.

So does anybody know, whether the W530 suffers the same problem.

A last question? What happens, when I plug a WLAN-Stick into USB? Must it also be authorized by lenovo and how do I find out, which products are authorized?

Thanks in advance

Thomas

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,957
Message 2 of 15

Re: W500 and Intel Wifi Link 5100

welcome to the community.

sorry for your troubles.

afaik, all ThinkPads of at least the last 5(?) or more generations have had a BIOS whitelist for mPCI/e WLAN / WWAN options. as i understand it, this is due to getting approvals from numerous "Communications" regulatory agencies around the world for the cards. unfortunately, i've never seen the whitelists published anywhere, so we normally go by the FRU #s included in hardware maintenance manuals when folks ask for advice on compatible cards.

re: the USB WLAN stick, you should have no issue similar to a whitelist block.

regards.

edit: correction and clarification.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

tvw
Paper Tape
Views: 2,952
Message 3 of 15

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have tried 2 WLAN-cards yet and none of them worked. I chose the Intel 5100 for a second try, because it was listed in thinkwiki as one of two wlan cards which w500 notebooks have been shipped by lenovo.

Meanwhile I found out, that the intel 5100 is listed by lenovo with at least two different FRUs, so it is possible, that it will run in one thinkpad model, but maybe not in another thinkpad model. And at a breathtaking price: 6-8 times the price I have paid for the card and two different prices for different FRUs. And all what you pay the extra money for is a number in the card, which does not make any difference. I wonder, what lenovo thinks, how I feel now?

So as far as I understand, the best way is to use a USB-WLAN-Stick since the USB-port does not suffer from the same problems. Not really an option I like. I really start to wonder why I should pay so much money for lenovo products, when it does not let me do things, which I can do without problems with any notebook, which only costs a small fraction of a w-series thinkpad.

Until last week I was so a happy thinkpad user (the w500 was my third thinkpad) but now I am not sure, whether I will ever again buy a lenovo product or even recommend it. I am so disappointed.

Regards

Thomas

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,937
Message 4 of 15

As sarbin said, ThinkPads have had a wifi card whitelist roughly forever.

Probably your best bet for getting a compatible card is to check the FRU list in the W500 Hardware Maintenance Manual:  Hardware Maintenance Manual

Page 147 shows the FRU for the 5100. If you try again, make sure the vendor sells the card with that FRU - that is, the card has been sprinkled with the Lenovo pixy dust. You don't have to purchase from Lenovo, but it does have to have that FRU number.

A quick google shows 43Y6493 prices ranging from dirt cheap to ridiculously expensive.

Good luck,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Guru
Views: 2,917
Message 5 of 15

@tvw wrote:

Until last week I was so a happy thinkpad user (the w500 was my third thinkpad) but now I am not sure, whether I will ever again buy a lenovo product or even recommend it. I am so disappointed.

Regards

Thomas

If you think that Lenovo is the only laptop manufacturer that has a "whitelist" of network cards in BIOS, think again.

HP, Panasonic and Dell are the same way. Apple...let's not even go there.

We can thank FCC (and related agencies worldwide) for that nonsense.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
tvw
Paper Tape
Views: 2,908
Message 6 of 15

HP is already on my private blacklist of companies I do not buy products from. In my other notebooks I never had problems with updating the wlan cards to more modern models. And I live in Europe and really do not care about the FCC. So for me it would be enough, if I could turn that "feature" off. The regulations are one thing and the other are how lenovo interprets them and how it implements them. Other companies obviously do it different, so lenovo could do it the same way. When they do not, I do not buy, it is that simple.

Regards Thomas

Guru
Views: 2,896
Message 7 of 15

If you wanted to take the riskier "bios modification" route, there is a forum out there with developers that will remove the whitelist.

I am a volunteer. Please post your questions in the forum, as I will not reply if they are sent in a personal message.

W530(2436-CTO): i7-3720QM, HD4000 + K2000M, 32GB RAM, 1TB, 750GB Ultrabay, 250GB mSATA , Ubuntu 18.04, Ultimate-N 6300.
TP Yoga 14(20FY): i5-6200U, HD 520 + 940M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Wireless 8260, Ubuntu 18.04
Yoga Home 900(27ibu): i7-5500, HD5500 + 940A, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Windows Insider Fast
Guru
Views: 2,879
Message 8 of 15

@tvw wrote:

And I live in Europe and really do not care about the FCC. So for me it would be enough, if I could turn that "feature" off. The regulations are one thing and the other are how lenovo interprets them and how it implements them. Other companies obviously do it different, so lenovo could do it the same way. When they do not, I do not buy, it is that simple.

Regards Thomas

It takes all of 15 minutes to swap the wireless card with an "approved" one, and these can be had for a song nowadays...

I'm not saying Lenovo is right or wrong with this approach - IBM was the same way - I've just learned to accept it as a fact of life and found my way around the limitations at hand.

W500 is by far one of my favourite Lenovo products and I honestly believe that you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you were to get rid of it over the issue at hand.

Obviously, your ThinkPad - your call.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
tvw
Paper Tape
Views: 2,855
Message 9 of 15

I do not pay that much money for a notebook with the result, that I need to modify the bios to use standard conforming hardware with the risk to brick it. I am not willing to fix problems on my own risk, where lenovo made the mistake. When I read in the specifications, that my notebook has a standard slot for wlan-cards, I must expect, that I can plugin in any card which conforms with the standard. Whitelisting specific hardware is cheating the customer. What would you think, if lenovo would treat the USB-Slots the same way?

tvw
Paper Tape
Views: 2,851
Message 10 of 15

George, you are right. when you are saying, the W500 is very good hardware and that I would disservice myself in not buying any lenovo products again.

But I think, we disservice ourselfs, when we let lenovo get away with this. Have a look at the printers sector: there you can see, what is happening, when the companies restrict you in using third party "hardware": you have to pay up to three times as much or more for ink and toner than on a competetive market. I am not willing to pay an extra lenovo-(or whatever company)-tax when I want to extend my computer or buy ink or toner.

Yes, it only takes 15 minutes to swap to an approved one. But I already had a working card in the drawer and the fifteen minutes were already spent until I found out, that the W500 behaves completely different. Then I bought a card, which I found on a list of cards which the W500 is shipped with, but unfortunately, this is still not enough, since it does not have the lenovo stamp in it. So now I orderd another one, which should be stamped. So instead of fixing my problem within those 15 minutes, as you say, it takes me more than a week and it costs me more than the 0 Euros it would have cost me with any other notebook, since I already owned a card. Lenovo urges me to wait and to do f***ing stupid things, and that is, why I am so upset.

Regards

Thomas

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors