cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
natural
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,503
Message 1 of 9

W500 trouble - what an annoying Notebook.

Hi there,

I recently bought two W500 4062 3CG Notebooks - I had never before a Thinkpad and someone told me, that I won´t be wrong in buying a W500... espacially for graphics and CAD work.

Well here now what I don´t understand - why are these computers so slow? 

My ACER Aspire one toy is faster booting up winxp pro than the W500 boots up this ultimate scrap - my three year old hp is also a lot faster... and the three year old battery is doing better than the thinkpads new one... oh wow! Paid around 5000,- € to get two slow notebooks...

Well I looked up the specs and it must be this ***** OS -that slows everything down- I don´t want to talk about this ***** anymore.

So, I decided to downgrade to win XP - but another annoying thing came up to me this 64bit notebook is delivered with a 32bit winxp downgrade...

Well my dealer told me that lenovo ist Service No 1 company - so I looked up the Internet to download the 64bit win xp pro version with drivers

When I arrived on the right page - I found nothing but ***** ultimate stuff

no win xp 64bit downgrade download - oh my god! can u imagine that this is the time when a client who paid money gets angry?

Well meanwhile I start to think about selling the notebooks -making a big minus- never ever thinking about this lenovo firm and the products again - or is there someone out there who can help? Here my questions:

Has anyone a 64bit winxppro downgrade and the drivers for the w500?

Does anyone wants two W500 - German? And what is he willing to pay for?

Is it also possible to sell the epacs to another person/firm - because I was so stupid to buy two 4year warranty epacs with the W500?

We have these notebooks for two weeks now but we don´t work with them because they are slower than our old stuff is.

Would be nice to get some answers and ideas.

Greetings 

tobias

Lenovo Technology Partner
Views: 3,478
Message 2 of 9

Re: W500 trouble - what an annoying Notebook.

Hi and excuse me. You're angry because you can't download a full Windows version on the Lenovo website? This is highly illegal you should know that.

The W500 I know is super fast. So tell us more about the installed hardware and software. We need more information to help you solve the problem. And Vista 64 bit is the supported operating system. Windows XP 64 bit was a pain down the backside and is still not supported by Lenovo. If you really want XP 64 bit go ahead and buy it. Be aware that Lenovo don't have to offer you dirvers for a non supported operating system.

So here a peace of advice. Get rid of all programs you don't need and use and Vista should boot up quite quickly. 

Cheers

P.S. Just because you may have some problems doesn't mean that Lenovos are bad.

Message Edited by crisdean on 11-22-2008 04:48 PM
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 3,461
Message 3 of 9

Hello,

I would assist Crisdean.

Vista 64 has become stable and is used by many users, without problems.

Search for Vista tweaks on our forum here, some services and applications should be disabled.

But Vista fully loaded need some time to do it´s tasks and learn, how to behave on your preferences.

Check also out thinkpad-forum.de.There you´ll find a beginning discussion about XP64 and there

might be some hints for driver´s and applications.

Message Edited by Agotthelf on 22-11-2008 08:24 PM

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T430s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

natural
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,394
Message 4 of 9

Hi Andreas,

thanks for the german forum link... but I don´t know if I will work further with this stuff - can you imagine my netbook is faster booting up and is having longer lasting battery. 

+ I don´t know why downgrading to winxp 64bit should be illegal. With a legal ultimate version. The delivered OS is eating up all the ressources of the hardware. That´s what a simple mechanical chrono shows up. You don´t need any Benchmarking for this.

So true, wouldn´t you be a bit angry if you bought a 64bit notebook - getting a 32bit OS installed and afterwards being told, that you should pay another 180,- € to get the 64bit VISTA OS...

So back to my first questions:

Is it possible to sell the epacs also to another person and than let them register?

Otherwise is it worth to pay the 64bit upgrade on this VISTA thing? Is it than getting faster?

Is anyone using the WIN XP 32bit Version with the W500 - and is it faster than?

Is anyone using the WIN XP 64bit Version with the W500 - and is it faster than?

The other nb producers allways try to get the most out of their products right when the consumer hit the power button the first time. I am only used to download&install the newest drivers - I am sorry to all of the lenovo community who are insulted by my posting - but this suboptimal product delivery is totally new to me!

Greetings tobias

natural
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,393
Message 5 of 9

oops sorry, here the config:

W500 T9400 2.53GHz 2GB, 1920x1280, 3cell, Vista 32Bit

Revit Suite

3Ds Max

and of course: 3D office Smiley Wink

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 3,387
Message 6 of 9

Hello,

please take look also here on NBR.

There is mentioned to install Windows Server 2003 X64, to get similar Xp experience
in a 64bit environment. But the driver and apllication situation is simalarbad.

With Vista 32/64 you are able to choose a X64 bit system, without paying anything in addition to your purchase.

Also some users prefer Windows Server 2008 X64 on their newest machines, like T/R/W500.

XP64 isn´t and won´t be supported by Lenovo.

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T430s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

natural
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,361
Message 7 of 9

okay, I give up... the server idea is a good one... but I don´t think I will get the ok to buy it.

thanks for all the help.

tobias

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 3,347
Message 8 of 9

natural wrote:

+ I don´t know why downgrading to winxp 64bit should be illegal. With a legal ultimate version.

You'll need to take that up with Microsoft.  It's their OS and their rules.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

ConnectDon
Greps Everything
Views: 3,204
Message 9 of 9

See this Microsoft pdf document for information concerning Vista downgrade rights.

Don

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors