Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nickrami
Paper Tape
Views: 454
Message 1 of 5

W500 won't turn on when plugged in

My father's W500 laptop won't turn on, even when plugged into power. He thinks it's a battery issue and is planning to buy a replacement battery, but I've never heard of a laptop that won't turn on with a dead battery if the AC adapter is plugged in. Is this actually something that can happen with a W500?

rvcjew
802.11n
Views: 408
Message 2 of 5

Re: W500 won't turn on when plugged in

Have you taken the battery out then plugged it in, and have you taken out the CMOS battery for a bit to reset the BIOS?
I own a Y510p SLI (retired), Yoga 2 Pro, P50 4K, X1C5
practical
802.11n
Views: 399
Message 3 of 5

A couple of thoughts (although they may be obvious).

1.  Are you certain the power brick, removable AC and attached DC cable are all OK and producing the correct voltage?  Sometimes old cables break-down internally and either don't pass current, don't pass enough juice or develop internal short-circuits and need to be repaired or replaced.  Does the power light come-on at all or is dim?  Is this a new problem or has the machine not been used in a while?

2.  When you remove the battery from the machine, does it still not boot?  If so, then the battery might have an internal short or faulty electronics board -- in which case, a new battery is likely the remedy.

You might also try removing both batteries, as the previous poster suggested.

Paper Tape
Views: 387
Message 4 of 5

Thank you both for responding. I live in a different city than my dad, and it's tough to get him to follow directions when it comes to this kind of thing, so I can't do much in the way of diagnostics. I asked him to try removing the main battery and powering up, but I haven't heard back yet. I'll try to get him on the phone tonight to see if the power light is turning on.

ninjaphunk
What's DOS?
Views: 161
Message 5 of 5

Hello,

This issue recently happened to me with my Lenovo W500. I bought a replacement battery, a new charger, and a new CMOS battery and I still haven't been able to power up the laptop. No light indicators appear. Also tried combinations of holding down the power button down for 30 seconds without the battery(s), with the battery(s), and still no luck.  Does anyone know how to resolve the issue?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors