Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecarballo
Not applicable
Views: 2,059
Message 1 of 6

W510 CPU Speed Throttling on AC power

Can other w510 owners please run CPU speed test on W510 running on AC power only (without battery)?  I noticed my w510 runs slower on batter or ac alone but runs twice as fast when both ac and battery are plugged in.  I called Lenovo suppport and they suggested that I send my machine in.  They would not say whether the w510 is designed to operate in this manner. They said they don't have specs for how cpu speed for different battery/ac scenarios.   My expectation is that on AC power (without battery) the machine should run at top speed, assuming "maximum performance" power manager profile is applied.

MacGyverRick
Not applicable
Views: 2,002
Message 2 of 6

Re: W510 CPU Speed Throttling on AC power

Hi, though I've got a W500, I tried the scenario on battery, on AC, battery connected and removed. Running the power manager at maximum performance and configured as such in power manager my CPUs x2 were reporting 3059Mhz. I did not notice any reduction of laptop responsiveness.

Perhaps there is a video GPU power setting involved?

Rick
W500 4058-CTO WinXP
lead_org
Not applicable
Views: 1,967
Message 3 of 6

so you are using the 135 watt adapter that came with the Thinkpad?

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
MacGyverRick
Not applicable
Views: 1,957
Message 4 of 6

ecarballo, another idea - if you install a utility to monitor what's going on... for example process explorer, or a gadget (lighter) that conveniently displays live CPU activity. perhaps it would help point to a possible source/culprit?

Rick

Rick
W500 4058-CTO WinXP
ecarballo
Not applicable
Views: 1,917
Message 5 of 6

I wound up sending the laptop in for repair.  Lenovo's repair service sent out a next-day UPS box.  I wound up discovering that my laptop would not run at top CPU speed regardless of bios and power manager power settings after a shutdown.  However, if i restarted the laptop (without shutting it down) then it would start up at top CPU speed.  I used CPU-Z and the Intel processor identification utility to check CPU rate.  I tried my best to root out the cause but I couldn't figure it out and I ran out of patience.  Hopefully Lenovo will fix it.  Other than that problem the laptop is great.

ecarballo
Not applicable
Views: 1,916
Message 6 of 6

Yes...I was running with the 135W AC power unit.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors