Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

51 Posts

09-27-2010

U.S.A.

42 Signins

774 Page Views

• Views: 774
  • Message 1 of 1

W510 Single external LCD display color calibration: Use DVI to port replicator OR laptop DP to DVI?

2010-10-27, 17:29 PM

Windows 7 pro 64-bit on recent W510 purchase.

Dell external LCD display native 1680x1050 works fine connected to laptop via newest Port Replicator and DVI cable from PR to LCD.  HOWEVER while I am able to do color calibration with hardware/software the profile is not very good for the grayscale response.  It is so poor that the customer rep for the hardware/software calibration package thinks I might have a poor copy of the Dell LCD display.  My hunch is that it is perhaps more of an issue of how the external display is being connected (via port replicator) to the W510.

It seems that with my simple setup the connection to the port replicator DVI versus connecting display to laptop via a single link Display Port --- DVI connector should be "the same" I am wondering.  I don't have a DP --- DVI connector and would need to buy one; is this worth a try?

With the current connection via the Port Replicator the external monitor is shown simply as a USB Monitor (and isnot shown by name Dell 2209wa).  Am I correct that if the Dell were connected via the DP port on the W510 that it would show up properly named in control panel where you adjust resolution and choose whether to clone or extend displays?  If someone can confirm that the DP --- DVI route shows things properly named, then I am willing to speculate that the color calibration system might be able to better communicate with the video card etc  by avoiding the port replicator.

Given how many people report problems with the port replicator this also suggests that by passing it might be worthwhile.

FYI:  I have tried both the Spyder 3 calibrator with their own Spyder 3 Elite v4.0 software; and the same color calibrator with the Color Eyes Display Pro software.  WHile both software approaches seem to be adjusting the laptop video Lut and while the RGB delta E values are excellent, the grayscale values need significant improvement for photographic image processing.  From other testing I am pretty convinced that my Spyder 3 calibrator and software are all working fine.

Thanks for any advice.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms