Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cytochromes
What's DOS?
Views: 10,607
Message 1 of 88

W510 Sleep issue

Not sure if it's an isolated case, but waking from sleep doesn't work when the laptop is running on battery or AC. The machine doesn't wake and keyboard lights(CAP Lock, Volume Mute, Mic Mute and the Keyboard illuminator LED near the camera) blink on and off in a continous cycle until I hold the power down to completely shut the machine off. Windows then complains about an improper shutdown when I restart it. Has anyone experienced this issue?

I've formatted my machine a few times thinking it was a bug in Windows 7 x64, but this problem only surfaced after the Power Management driver 3.12 on Lenovo's site was installed, otherwise the laptop sleeps and resumes perfectly if the driver isn't installed. I have also installed Power Manager 3.20 and the latest bios, but that doesn't solve the problem. Please help as this is really an bothersome! Thanks!

redhawkvb
Blue Screen Again
Views: 10,557
Message 2 of 88

Re: W510 Sleep issue

Yes, I had a similar challenge with the Lenovo Power Manager installed.  I currently am operating without it installed.  I may retry in a few months and a few more updates.  While removing Power Manager did not eliminate all my issues, it reduced many of the most serious one.

Overall, the W510 has some real issue with drivers including but not limited to: USB, video and power management.  I am hoping it will get resolved over the next few months as the drivers get updated...

ecarballo
Punch Card
Views: 10,438
Message 3 of 88

I had the same issue.  After some exhaustive testing I determined the problem occurred when I installed a particular memory module into either of the memory slots under the keyboard.  This particular memory model is made by Crucial and it was different in manufacturer/model from the adjacent model.  I fixed the problem by moving the problematic Crucial module to the "0" slot under the laptop.  In my case, the problem appears to be a memory module incompatible with the laptop.

cytochromes
What's DOS?
Views: 10,410
Message 4 of 88

Son of a gun! You're right ecarballo! I too, have a crucial memory in the memory slot under the keyboard. Did what you said and relocated and SLEEP IS WORKING AGAIN!

Thank you!

Highlighted
relanfi
What's DOS?
Views: 10,230
Message 5 of 88

I got the same problem. I've got this problem for a week. It was fine before. Don't know what happened.

Is anyone from Lenovo coming to explain this?

Any solutions?

dansumption
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 9,998
Message 6 of 88

I've just bought a W510, not installed any memory or anything, and it has exactly the same problem. Infuriating, especially as, if I leave it on for long enough, it automatically sleeps, and I can't wake it up again without a forced shutdown and restart.

Answers please, Lenovo.

dansumption
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 9,979
Message 7 of 88

Oops!

I ran the full set of Thinkvantage updates - and it now works exactly as it should.

dansumption
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 9,971
Message 8 of 88

**bleep**! I spoke too soon.

The first time I put the PC into standby after upgrading, it recovered from it fine. The next time, I wasn't so lucky: the old problem came back.

I've had to set all actions to hibernate for the time being, which doesn't suffer from the same problem, but it's obviously very frustrating having to go through the long startup procedure every time I want to switch the machine back on.

So, Lenovo, what gives?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 9,960
Message 9 of 88

Just a reminder that Lenovo established this community for user-to-user support, and it is moderated by volunteers like me. Although there is some Lenovo presence, and they can't read and respond to every post. They do try to help with some of the broader issues.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
ecarballo
Punch Card
Views: 9,907
Message 10 of 88

This problem happens on my machine when i install memory in the second slot under the keyboard.  It happens if i start the machine on battery.  If i subsequently restart the machine (without shutting down), then the sleep function works. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors