Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tkouhsari
Paper Tape
Views: 757
Message 1 of 5

W510 Support for SSDs using hard drive caddy?

I just bought a Crucial M4 512GB SSD and I cannot get this thing to work in the hard drive caddy.  Works fine in the primary slot, but can't initialize/partition/format/anything when using it with my official Lenovo hard drive caddy.  So what SSDs does the caddy support?  

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 732
Message 2 of 5

Re: W510 Support for SSDs using hard drive caddy?

@tkouhsari wrote:

I just bought a Crucial M4 512GB SSD and I cannot get this thing to work in the hard drive caddy.  Works fine in the primary slot, but can't initialize/partition/format/anything when using it with my official Lenovo hard drive caddy.  So what SSDs does the caddy support?  

Which caddy do you have?  There are two from Lenovo now.

Chatbox
802.11n
Views: 724
Message 3 of 5

He said the official lenovo caddy... I'm guessing the latest one.

tkouhsari
Paper Tape
Views: 717
Message 4 of 5

Hmmm...maybe not the latest.  There was only one when I bought it in 2010.  It's a little thin for the W510...maybe there is a new one that fits better?

Anyway , it is model ThinkPad Serial ATA Hard Drive Bay Adapter III.  P/N 43N3429.

tkouhsari
Paper Tape
Views: 707
Message 5 of 5

Ok, I feel a little dumb.  I got the M4 working.  In the past, I've been able to hot swap my 2nd drives.  Apparently this no longer works (need to figure out why).  I plugged in my old HDD while booted up and got the same "drive not initialized" error on it.  After a reboot, the HDD was up and running.  So tried the same with the SSD and it's working.  I thought I had done this as part of my troubleshooting but I guess not :/

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors