Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Message 1 of 6 (2,988 Views)

W510 WiMAX cannot turn on or turn off with FnF5

New W510.  (4318 CTO, 16GB, WIndows 7)  Used new 640GB drive to install Windows 7 Pro x64 from scratch.  Installed lasted versions of drivers from Lenovo W510 support site.  Almost everything works, except the WiMAX.

WiMAX shows up and seems to be properly controlled in the preload.  It does not show up in my rebuild, so the HW is there.

Among other things, I installed Power Management Driver, Power Manager, HotKey Features and the Intel WiFi WiMAX 6250 v13.00.0000 (both WiFi and WiMAX parts) but just the WiFi part shows up in the OnScreen Display when using FnF5.  The WiMAX does not.  The drivers show up in the Control Panel programs list and there were no problems indicated during installation. 

Am I missing something or is there a trick to the installation order?

Punch Card
Message 2 of 6 (2,967 Views)

Re: W510 WiMAX cannot turn on or turn off with FnF5

A bit more information:  Under Network Connections the WiMAX adapter is listed as unplugged.

Local Area Connection 2   Network cable unplugged    Intel(r) Centrino(R) WiMAX 6250

Seems odd to me that it is not listed as a wireless device.

Any suggestions on how get the WiMAX working?

Punch Card
Message 3 of 6 (2,896 Views)

How do I inform Lenovo about and unexpected dependency -- Access Connections required to control WiMAx option from FnF5 OnScreen Display.

I tried reinstalling Windows 7 from scratch and tried changing installation order of Power Management Driver, Power Manager, Hotkey Features and WiFi/WiMAX drivers.  Nothing helped.  Still unable to see WiMAX in FnF5 OnScreen display to enable/disable power.

Finally, totally as a guess, I tried installing Access Connections 5.61.  Then WiMAX wireless option became visible in the FnF5 OnScreen display along with WiFi, Bluetooh and Wireless WAN options.  I then tried uninstalling Access Connections (including profiles) and lost WiMAX from the FnF5 OnScreen Diplay.

Clearly, Access Connections is required to enable/disable WiMAX option, although this was quite unexpected.  In my case I prefer to run without installing Access Connections.

How do I inform Lenovo about this defect?

Token Ring
Message 4 of 6 (2,695 Views)

Same problm here ... and I don't want or need Access Connections.

What's DOS?
Message 5 of 6 (2,004 Views)

Came here for help with the same issue..

Token Ring
Message 6 of 6 (1,998 Views)

[ Edited ]

Could be out of touch and wrong but pretty sure WiMAX only works with some sort of software that allows you to connect to the service provider.  If you're thinking it works like WiFi and connects via your Windows wireless network manager, I don't think that's how WiMAX works at least the portion when it has to connect to the service provider.

Like if you get a broadband card from Sprint, Verizon or whatever... you need to install a connection manager software to actually do the connecting, because there is no built in software in Windows 7 or other version that can perform that task... at least not yet that I know of.

Use the Lenovo Connection Manager and just have it not show up in your taskbar, pretty seemless I'd think.

I guess best way to put it is, we have a fingerprint reader, installed the drivers and windows recognizes the device.  When we log in, the log in screen looks the same as normal but with a fingerprint and allows us to log in swiping the finger.  Since it just looks like it's using Windows login screen why do we need Lenovo's fingerprint reader software.  Why can't we just have Windows login use the fingerprint reader since it recognizes the device to let us log in... Answer would be because that functionality isn't built into Windows so you need additional software to make it work, and that software in this case happens to be integrated smoothly to make it seem like it's part of Windows functionality.

Top kudoed Authors