Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Employee
Views: 2,995
Message 11 of 45

Re: W510 does not wake up when it goes into Sleep mode - Windows 7 Bit

Hi russellwth,

As understood you have tried to re-seating the RAMs, reimage the laptop to a Lenovo default OS and has the latest BIOS installed.

I would recommend your next step to contact the Lenovo service to get your laptop checked.

//JameZ

mikeynavy1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,979
Message 12 of 45

I just posted on this and then found this thread.  My computer was fine until this past weekend.  Now mine won't wake from sleep.  I have to do a forced restart, at which time the screen comes on in dim mode.  I've been choosing safe mode and then doing a proper restart once I get to the login screen.  This restores the brightness and functionality of the machine.  I've had the latest BIOS since it came out, am running Win 7 x64, and have tried with and without the Lenovo Power Manager software.  I'm not sure what changed but it is very annoying.  For now I guess I'll just tell the machine not to go to sleep but this is unacceptable.  Before I call Lenovo any thoughts?  I read the solution about the memory but I have 8GB of factory-installed memory which supposedly should fill all 4 slots so there's nothing to move around.

pmthomas7144
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,815
Message 13 of 45

Let me say up front that I do tech support for a SoCal software company and have had 12 Thinkpads over the years.  Although I love the W510 in general, I am totally amazed that Lenovo can not/will not solve this problem.  I guess the question remains whether it is a Win 7 issue or hardware issue.? The suggestions by the MVPs to take a factory prepared machine and mess with seating memory modules, etc are ludicrous.  The SOB should work properly out of the box and there should be NO reason to send it back.

So looking at more drastic solutions.....has anyone bitten the bullet and wiped the HD and reinstalled a "clean" version of Windows 7 without all the Gawdawful crap Lenovo sticks on the machines?   Or, install a spare HD with nothing but plain Jane Win 7?  I have a 4 month old machine, with new BIOS.  Sleep worked well at first and now I have the blinking light syndrome.  I agree hibernate is a pain and would love to solve this problem.

Former Employee
Views: 2,787
Message 14 of 45

@mikeynavy1 and pmthomas7144,

Do both of you have HDD password enabled or Intel TXT enabled in BIOS?

//JameZ
pmthomas7144
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,783
Message 15 of 45

In a word, no!  There's an old saying; "when you hear hoof-beats in Texas, don't look for zebras!".

Clearly, this is a wide-spread problem with people running box-stock W510 machines without any goofy configurations.  Why doesn't Lenovo stop messing about  and quit wasting our time.  They should man-up and admit it if there is a hardware problem.  Or...be clever enough to determine that it's a Windows 7 problem.  We, the customer, would just like to know which it is.  Don't suggest a shotgun approach to solving problems using the customer; solving the problem is Lenovo's job!!  By the way, anyone who has looked further than the end of their nose can see that issues with sleep mode are not exclusive to Lenovo machines.

Thimee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,507
Message 16 of 45

I have the same issue (cross posted on the other sleep issue thread).

• My machine works fine if using a single display (ie just the laptop LCD)
  • My machine hangs, and will not sleep if I am using multiple displays (LCD + VGA) and I have the display duplicated

This W510 has Win7x64 with all the latest drivers from both Microsoft and Lenovo Thinkvantage Update.

Here is what I have done thus far to attempt to solve the problem:

1. I updated all my drivers (including Power Management, BIOS to 1.34 etc) using the Thinvantage Update
  2. I am up to date with all Microsoft service packs (including Windows 7 SP1 for x64 just released)
  3. My memory is fine, I checked it using Memtest86 as well as the Lenovo Memory Test in the Thinkvantage toolbox
  4. I updated my graphics drivers to the latest from the Nvidia web site (266.58_notebook_winvista_win7_64bit_international​_whql.exe)
  5. I removed my second hard drive by removing the ultrabay from the machine
  6. I disabled the wireless network card using the switch on the side of the machine
  7. I tried sleep with both AC Power connected and then just battery with no connections

None of these steps have resolved my issues. My machine type is 4389-2SU if you want the full hardware specs.

pmthomas7144
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,493
Message 17 of 45

Yup....tried most if not all of that as well.  It is a W510 issue, although "sleep" has always been a bit buggy with Windoze.  I finally nuked the hard drive and reinstalled Win7 64 bit *without* all the bloatware from Lenovo.  Selectively loaded back the bits of interest.  Still have the problem, but at least recovery/boot time is rapid without all the junk in the background.   After owning 12+ Thinkpads over the last decade, I've come to realise each has it's own personality.  Much like the squeeks and groans of an automobile.  I'm accepting that this quirk will never be fixed before I move on to either new laptop or new OS.

Cheers~

Web3Builder
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,296
Message 18 of 45

Yes, I have the same problem for over a year now. 

Been to many many threads here and JameZ asks the same questions, tells you to reset everything, buy their RAM, etc etc.   Then he closes the thread.

But new threads keeps starting up because most W510 owners are still suffering from this "wont' fix" problem.

Hard to believe that Lenovo would do this to their "top of the line notebook" customers. 

Sad.

pmthomas7144
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,296
Message 19 of 45

The best solution is to backup your data, nuke the hard drive and reinstall a >>clean<< version of Win7 without all the bloatware and crap which Lenovo install.  You can always add the very few bits which you might think important, but they are precious few.  I've done that for my wife's Thinkpad and mine and it virtually eliminates the problem.  It's a shame that's necessary, but a clean install all but fixes the problem.  Good luck!

funkydiscofreak
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,204
Message 20 of 45

Same issue 1.38 bios version.

Any other idea?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors