Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,971
Message 21 of 45

Re: W510 does not wake up when it goes into Sleep mode - Windows 7 Bit

Mine BIOS is latest 1.38.

I have try 

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-67239

(osfh02ww.exe) and put "USBPMon.reg". 

Shut down lap and restart from cold boot-and this worked for me!

This is Windows 7 also fix (AFAIK).

And of course have hiberfil.sys enabled "powercfg -h on".

All looks that sleep on W510 is not really working but hibernation way of sleep does. I'd like to be this confirmed from Lenovo.

Hope this helps!

funkydiscofreak
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,956
Message 22 of 45

Just to say that I have installed (nuked as you say) formated HDD with Win 2008 R2 x64 Sp1 included.

And the problem persisits from the first moment.

When I say problems I mean sleep is not clear sleep but run through hybernate and this is not sleep as I used to have on mine previous laptop

subvertbeats
Paper Tape
Views: 1,881
Message 23 of 45

Just to add that I have this same problem, but dont think its a Windows issue as Im running Ubuntu 11.04

Hibernate seems to work well, but cannot wake up from suspend.

Former Employee
Views: 1,879
Message 24 of 45

@subvertbeats,

Try reseating the RAMs also, if you have 3rd party RAMs installed, remove them and test and see if problem persist. You could also try using 1 RAM only and see if it helps.

//JameZ
pmthomas7144
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,867
Message 25 of 45

With all due respect, James, this is old business.  And it's ridiculous to suggest the cause is DIMMS or SIMMS not being properly seated when this was a brand new machine shipped from Lenovo.  There's an old saying in the USA "when you hear hoof-beats in Texas, don't look for zebras" and that certainly applies here.  My problem has been all but solved by totally nuking the hard drive and eliminating all the crap and bloatware that Lenovo installs.  I did a *clean* installation of Windows 7 Enterprise and let Windows install as many of the drivers as possible.  I only used Lenovo stuff when there was no other choice.  I will occasionally get the blinking light issue, but only every 4-5 months.  The problem is obivously related (at least the majority of it) to the junk that Lenovo installs.

Paul T

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,857
Message 26 of 45

PaulT,

No, I'm not looking for Zebras, but there  are plenty of antelope and swine in Texas and they have hooves also so what say we keep an open mind here?

Reseating ram is a viable suggestion, in all your years of owning Thinkpads, you never had a bad ram chip?  Or a bit of dust on a ram contact?  These machines bounce around on a truck getting to the customer, you don't think that maybe a ram chip could've moved a bit? Hibernation is directly related to the ram.

Not once in this thread has anybody said anything about whether they had hybrid sleep enabled or not.  Hybrid sleep makes sleep act like hibernate. It writes to ram.

The problem with windows is that there are power settings everywhere, especially in windows 7.  Changing one and not changing the rest won't work.  You have to change them all, the problem is finding them all.

If you can't get the settings in Lenovo's power manager working in concert with windows power manager, by all means, get rid of it.  But what works for you doesn't neccesarily mean that it will work for anybody else.  Some people like Lenovo's so called bloatware.

JameZ is here helping out trying to solve problems and we all try the obvious things first.  We're all volunteers here and without the staff and employees coming in here helping, you all would be on your own.

All I'm saying is don't be so quick to dismiss advice that's given, we have to start somewhere and reseating ram is always going to be the first thing to try concerning hibernation. If that doesn't work, then we go to the power settings.  A solution comes about from procedure, one step at a time, you of all people, with your experience should know that.

http://activerain.com/blogsview/2160097/medina-county-texas-ranches-for-sale-zebras

And yeh, there are zebras in Texas

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
subvertbeats
Paper Tape
Views: 1,789
Message 27 of 45

@ JameZ - I removed the 2x2GB sticks of third party RAM (though it was IBM supplied), leaving only the single 4GB stick installed, in Slot 0. Reseated to be sure. The problem persists.

@topmahof - I'm seeing this on Ubunti 11.04, so I can safely rule out Windows power settings.

pmthomas7144
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,783
Message 28 of 45

I rest my case!  The volatile memory SIMMS/DIMMS not being seated is not a problem.  That's easy enough to check without popping the hood.  How irritated would you be if you were a newby and static-zapped a memory module in the process of following JameZ suggestion.  If you know what you are supposed to have installed and it's not displayed in sysinfo, then it *could* be an issue.  However, on my laptop, the sysinfo agreed with what was supposed to be there.  No reason to mess with pulling stuff apart.

I'm curious about the Linux (Ubuntu) problem as I'm not all that familiar with Linux.  Are you running a VM or did you nuke the HD and do a clean install?  If running a VM, you could still be at the mercy of whatever Lenovo sticks on the machine prior to shipment.  I still think the problem is related to Lenovo bloatware.  Since nuking the HD and doing a clean, plain Jane installation of Win7 Enterprise, I've seen only rare (knock on wood) instances of blinking light.  I will freely admit Windoze sleep/hibernation has always been a bit dodgy, but I think much of the current problem is related to Lenovo OEM config.  They should not be ignoring this although it seems there is an out-of-sight, out-of-mind mentality involved.  I do tech support and training for a SoCal software company, so I am well aware of the "scripted approach" which the VIPs/support folks must follow.  It's almost always frustrating to deal with them since you don't know if they have MS certifications or have OJT training.

Best

Paul T

subvertbeats
Paper Tape
Views: 1,759
Message 29 of 45

My host is Ubuntu 11.04.

I run some Windows guest VMs.

This is not a Windows problem, in my case at least.

pmthomas7144
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,744
Message 30 of 45

I rarely see the problem any longer, but when I do, it seems it's related to trying to bring back from sleep after plugging in a USB device.  Haven't been able to replicate, however.  I still maintain stripping all the OEM additions and letting Windows install the drivers when necessary seems to all but solve the problem.  The loose RAM thing just doesn't wash.  I carried my W510 on a 4200+ mile Harley trip in August.  Certain enough "jarring" to loose RAM if it was going to happen.  No problems.

Paul T

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors