Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmthomas7144
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,390
Message 41 of 45

Re: W510 does not wake up when it goes into Sleep mode - Windows 7 Bit

I have said it before and I'll repeat.  Nuking the hard drive and installing bare-bones Win 7 64bit has *all* but eliminated this problem for me (knock on wood).  I personally consider most of the OEM utility stuff useless and occasionally problematic when it interfers with power settings, wireless, etc, etc.  Win 7 has the stuff to deal with all of that.  I think the reseating RAM, BIOS updates are red herrings.  The only time I use a driver other than that installed by Win 7 is for graphics and  if I have to update legacy peripherals.  Win 7 handles the rest

Hope that helps

Paul T

kknight
Paper Tape
Views: 1,298
Message 42 of 45

This problem is so frustrating and only started after some sort of recent update using the Lenovo utility. I've rebuilt my laptop from scratch with Windows 7 x64 three times now and can't seem to resolve the issue. I have the latest BIOS (1.40) and have tried both using only the Microsoft drivers and only the Lenovo drivers, but neither one resolved the issue. I even applied the registry patch mentioned on another thread and it didn't do anything either.

I have the same symptoms noted by everybody else; Putting the laptop to sleep results in the Windows restarting as if it crashed or sometimes all the lights on the laptop just blink, which then requires the laptop to be powered off and causes the Waindows abnormal shutdown warning.

This is a big problem for me because I need to constantly put my laptop to sleep and use again for quick short periods of time. Not being able to do this requires several minutes of booting and then doing a complete shutdown.

Lenovo, are you listening?....

Former Employee
Views: 1,284
Message 43 of 45

@kknight,

As mentioned, If you have done a factory restore, replaced ram or test with 1 ram and problem still persist, do send the laptop back to the service depot.

//JameZ
strouja
Paper Tape
Views: 892
Message 44 of 45

I have the exact same problem, I had it with Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 8 64 bit.  I updated my bios to to the latest 1.45 and the issue persists.  I then reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows 8 64 enterprise on it and the problem persists. I then installed a lenovo power management app but I can't find it after it installed on Windows 8.  So I don't think this is doing anything and I stil have the problem.   When I attempt to wake up from sleep mode the green lights around power button flash on and off.   Once in this state I can only get the machine to turn on by holding down that power button for 5 seconds and reboot the PC.    About 2 monhts ago I did install RAM to bring it up to 16 GB total.  I will next open laptop and take out the new RAM to see if this is the cause.   

strouja
Paper Tape
Views: 887
Message 45 of 45

No luck, I took out 16 GB of RAM that was from Kingston and I still have the same issue. I think the W510s we all have are defective. I spent countless hours on this and give up.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors