cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Views: 4,038

Question

I have a machine W510, with MTM: 4318CTO.

This past weekend I did the update to Windows 8.1 from Win 8 and now the touch screen on my W510 stops responding anywhere from 20-60 seconds after login.

I have checked the driver and it is currently using the Wacom Gesture Touch Properties v.7.0.1.0 from 12/2010, Microsoft HID-compliant vendor-defined device from 6/2006 and Microsoft HID-compliant touch screen driver from 6/2006. Windows states these are the latest drivers and that all is working properly. 

I have found that if I go into services.msc and restart the Human Interface Device Service, the touch screen will start working again for a about a minute. As long as I'm working with it, everything is good. If I let it sits for some time like 20 sec, then it's no longer working.

The startup type for this service is Automatic (Trigger Start). Maybe things are not being triggered.

My system info: 

• W510 4318CTO 
  • Intel Core i7 Q 720 @1.60GHz
  • 8GB RAM
  • nVidia Quadro FX 880M
  • 15.6-inch (396mm) FHD (1920x1080) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, MultiTouch (touchscreen supports two-finger touch)
  • Windows 8.1

Answer

A community user suggested that the driver doesn't work under Windows 8.1 and provided a solution here for your reference.

1. Remove the Wacom touch gesture driver in the device manager.  Make sure to check "uninstall driver" when you do so otherwise the touch will stop working again a minute later.
  2. Then refresh action/scan for new hardware.
  3. The touch screen driver will start again with a new driver.

In services.msc, update human interface device service to run automatically.

Was this information helpful?

Comments
pkincy

Comment only here no solution, but I am wondering if I have wandered into an alternate universe.   Touch Screen on a W510?   I waited years for Lenovo to offer a touch screen and not having one as announced on the W540 is why I waited unitl the W550s to buy to replace my W520.  Yet you say a touch screen has been available way back on the W510???

I think I have wandered into the XFiles here!   Good luck in your fix.

Leslie13

This is probably the wrong place but just to flag up that my Flex 14 touchscreen stopped working around 10 days ago and despite trying everything suggested on websites it is still unresponsive.