cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chatbox
802.11n
Views: 326
Message 1 of 3

W520, 55++, 27++, unplugged from power adapter, 0% battery. Press Power button --> power up loops.

Just faced a rather strange issue, but not really an issue, just different system behaviour than expected.

System:

W520

Batteries:

55++ connected

27++ connected

Power adapter:

Unplugged

No other accessories connected.

Scenario:

I was using the system till it power itself off due to low power (0% reached for both batteries). i.e. Ungraceful Windows shutdown. Then upon pressing the power on button, the LEDs flashes, no THINKPAD logo or BIOS message appears, system appears to then restart again, and the LEDs flash again...and loops until it was no longer able to even attempt to POST.

Expected behaviour:

Either display the message that says "Battery level is too low".

Or

Don't loop (this is the behaviour when only the 55++ battery is connected at 0%)

Why does having the 27++ would make the system go through this looping cycle?

Retired Partner
Views: 303
Message 2 of 3

Re: W520, 55++, 27++, unplugged from power adapter, 0% battery. Press Power button --> power up

Hello Chatbox,

I can understand your issue very well, as there is no message comes on the screen which gives you information to plug the power adapter and prevent the laptop to get shut down.

You should install Power Manager software and then customize it as per your requirement.

The software can be download from the mentioned below web link.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/8mu417ww.exe

Hope, after this laptop will not shut down automatically due to battery backup

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Chatbox
802.11n
Views: 299
Message 3 of 3

Re: W520, 55++, 27++, unplugged from power adapter, 0% battery. Press Power button --> power up

Thanks for your reply.

The reason why I was running the batteries to 0% is because I was re-conditioning the batteries.

In short, running to 0% till till system shutdown was intended.

IMO, the issue is the BIOS shouldn't loop the power up POST if it failed to POST due to insufficient power.

This should be a BIOS fix if I'm not mistaken, not a PM fix.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors