Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JRHAWK9
Punch Card
Views: 3,304
Message 1 of 4

W520: Clean WIN7 install w/ UEFI and GPT Questions

I plan on running the BIOS in UEFI only mode and with a GPT formatted SSD drive. I have a couple questions about this setup.

I have been playing around with an old 60 HDD formatting it GPT and also putting the BIOS is UEFI only mode. My first question is should I leave the SSD drive as a simple disk or change it to dynamic? The other question is: I noticed when I loaded Win7 SP1 x64 on my 60gig HDD while in UEFI/GPT mode the install took a whopping 35gigs of space!! Is this normal for a Windows 7 install to use so much disk space on a GPT disk? Something just doesn't seem right, but maybe it's correct. I let Windows do the formatting of the drive during setup.

Anyway, any insight would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!
Paul

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,287
Message 2 of 4

Re: W520: Clean WIN7 install w/ UEFI and GPT Questions

I have two identical W520 systems sitting side by side.  i7-2920XM, 16GB RAM, and 500GB 7200rpm HDD.  On both of them I installed Win7 ultimate 64-bit from Microsoft DVD - one in legacy mode and the other in UEFI, and Windows created all of the partitions automatically starting from a completely clean HDD.  then I installed lenovo-specific drivers and Windows update, repeat until everything is installed.  I have a couple benchmark tools installed as well but they are small.

After the install, the legacy system has 415GB free of 465GB (according to windows).  The UEFI system has 414GB free of 465GB.  The difference is the extra partition that UEFI needs to boot. 

As far as boot times, the UEFI system boots about 1/2 second faster (24 seconds vs 23.5 seconds), according to the Microsoft Velocity test tool.  In my opinion, it is statistically insignificant.

The only thing a UEFI installation is going to give you today, is frustration when you can't make the fingerprint software or bitlocker work.  We don't have fixes for those issues yet.  See the following link for more info and FAQ.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion-Knowledge/What-is-UEFI-and-when-was-it-introduced-on-...

JRHAWK9
Punch Card
Views: 3,276
Message 3 of 4

thanks for the reply!

I knew about issues with bitlocker and the fingerprint software. I read a workaround for getting the fingerprint software to work and it seems to be fine.

Have you done any comparisons with SDD drives in place of the HDD's??

I may just stick with MBR if there really aren't any performance increases using SDD drives with a UEFI/GPT setup vs legacy.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,270
Message 4 of 4

i have not done the same test with SSD in place of HDD, but I don't think the result would be different, in terms of GPT/UEFI booting faster than MBR/legacy.  The theoretical advantage of UEFI is faster POST and hand-off to OS, but that doesn't really exist in Lenovo world, because Lenovo legacy BIOS is so optimized for speed already.

But it would still be interesting to have that data using SSDs so if I have time, I might be able to do that next week.

I still recommend legacy MBR - it's what I'm using on my own system (T520 with mSATA + HDD)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors