Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loeben
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,736
Message 1 of 9

W520 + Crucial M4 512GB 2100:Detection Error on HDD0

On my W520 I am running a Crucial M4 512GB for the last 4 month. It was updated with FW 010G 10 days ago.

When it stopped working with "2100: Detection Error on HDD0" I took the M4 out. It would not become active on  any other  port.

While I tried to rebuild the system on another HDD-drive I left it in a //FREECOM HDD dock powered on, but not connected.

When I finished the rebuild about 2 hours later I plugged the dock into the usb of another machine and it got recognized.

So I took it back to the W520.

It is now working in the W520 as before for about 2 * 10hrs without any problems.

Can anyone explain what happened please?

Lenovo ThinkPad W520 4284-4MG, UEFI 1.39, Intel Core i7-2860QM 2.5GHz, Kingston PNP 24GB (2x4+2x8GB) 1600MHz RAM, Crucial m4 070H 512GB SSD, Intel 6300 AGN, ThinkPlus 3G Ericsson F5521qw Broadband, Lenovo TP Port Mini Dock Plus Series 3, Windows 7 Professional 64bit
gibber10
Paper Tape
Views: 4,706
Message 2 of 9

Re: W520 + Crucial M4 512GB 2100:Detection Error on HDD0

Edit:  You have the latest firmware, didnt read Smiley Happy

Caranfil
Punch Card
Views: 4,683
Message 3 of 9

@loeben wrote:

Many SSD units can have HUGE problems under certain circumstances (normally a sudden power loss, but apparently more than that). When that takes place a "full disc recovery" seems to take place internally controlled by the firmware - and Crucial and other manufacturers like OCZ have instructions on how when that takes place you need to leave the SSD powered for at least 2 hours without interruption (possibly more) for that procedure to complete.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 4,679
Message 4 of 9

@Caranfil wrote:

@loeben wrote:

Many SSD units can have HUGE problems under certain circumstances (normally a sudden power loss, but apparently more than that). When that takes place a "full disc recovery" seems to take place internally controlled by the firmware - and Crucial and other manufacturers like OCZ have instructions on how when that takes place you need to leave the SSD powered for at least 2 hours without interruption (possibly more) for that procedure to complete.

very interesting.

i'd like to learn more. can you point me to a link / citation?

many thanks.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

alb9k
Punch Card
Views: 4,661
Message 5 of 9

Very strange, I never heard about it !

I also have a Crucial m4 512GB (fw. 00F) no problems until now

Russellr
Paper Tape
Views: 3,838
Message 6 of 9

I have 2 W530's having significant problems with Crucial M4 512GB drives

Hi All

We have 2 W530's.  I installed the M4 512GB drives before even firing the machines up, built our images, etc.  They are on

For a while both were great - nice and fast, etc.

After about 60 days, 1 machine started having issues seeing the Crucial (boot) drive. Spoke to Crucial support, and followed their advice to leave the machine powered up in the BIOS screen, to give the drive's on-board controller time to perform "Garbage Collection" (in case Windows was not performing TRIM properly).

It did not help.  Had to get another drive, rebuild the machine etc.

Then the second machine came up at boot-time (after being in sleep mode) with a million (bit of hyperbole there) hard drive errors - reminded me of the "cross-linked files" of DOS days gone by.  All kinds of corruptions on the disk, applications not working (Office, VMWare, etc), had to re-install.... nasty.

So, my faith in all things SSD has been severly damaged, and probably going to back good ol' faithful 7200RPM drives (any recommendations?  I used to use Hitachi, but they seem to be pretty scarce these days).

ANyone got any "inside track" on these issues?  Is ther a problem with Crucial Drives, or W530's with SSD, or W530's WITH Crucial SSD...?

Thanks

russ

Guru
Views: 3,832
Message 7 of 9

Re: I have 2 W530's having significant problems with Crucial M4 512GB drives

Updated firmware for Crucial M4 SSD posted

From the Crucial support website:

The following is a summary of changes between 010G and 040H, which are independent of operating system:

• Improved robustness in the event of an unexpected power loss.* Significantly reduces the incidence of long reboot times after an unexpected power loss.

• Corrected minor status reporting error during SMART Drive Self Test execution (does not affect SMART attribute data).

• Streamlined firmware update command for smoother operation in Windows 8.

• Improved wear leveling algorithms to improve data throughput when foreground wear leveling is required.

* An "unexpected power loss" is an event where a power loss occurs and is not preceded by an ATA STANDBY IMMEDIATE or similar command. STANDBY IMMEDIATE is a system-level command which alerts the storage device to an impending loss of power, or entry into low power modes like SLEEP and HIBERNATE. STANDBY IMMEDIATE is frequently not sent in a power loss event such as an unexpected loss of power connection, an expired battery, or holding down the power button for 4 seconds or longer. Although the new firmware significantly reduces the risk, unexpected power loss events such as these could result in a longer than normal reboot on the next power up. On the other hand, a standard shutdown in a Windows or Mac OS system will send the STANDBY IMMEDIATE command before shutting off power, allowing a clean start up when power is restored

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.28, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.18,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T460s, BIOS 1.20, WQHD display, 20GB RAM, I7-6600U, Samsung PM961 1TB PCIe-NVMe SSD, EM7455 WWAN
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
nema
What's DOS?
Views: 3,623
Message 8 of 9

X220 + Crucial M4 256GB 2100:Detection Error on HDD0

My x220 seems to 'lose' it's M4 on a fairly regular basis, ie every month or two. It's a pain but it always seems to resurrect itself after leaving it at the BIOS boot option screen for a while. This happened when I was running Win 7 and still occurs under Windows 8.

I've just upgraded the firmware to 040H so hopefully the frequency and/ or impact will be reduced...

mactavish2k8
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,396
Message 9 of 9

Re: X220 + Crucial M4 256GB 2100:Detection Error on HDD0

040H specifically addressed this issue that many of us were facing with the 040G firmware.

it's a wonder how they left that firmware up for 3 months and said nothing about it officially. I felt it was a showstopper problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors