Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EJH
Punch Card
Views: 480
Message 1 of 8

W520 Display Problem

My W520 is about 20 months old and has recently been giving me some problems where it locks up and the display scrambles. All is well after a reboot and there doesn't seem to be a pattern as to when the problem will repeat. I have run diagnostics with the Lenovo Solution Center and there were no problems found. Am I correct that this is an issue with the graphics card (NVIDIA Quadro 1000M)?

Link to image

Moderator note: images totalling more than 50k converted to links per forum rules:  Lenovo Community Participation Rules

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 443
Message 2 of 8

Re: W520 Display Problem

It is hard to distinguish between driver problems or video memory, although in my experience, it is usually memory, which is part of the graphics unit on the motherboard. Does it happen only when you are doing anything in particular?  Does anything appear in the event log?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
tquade
802.11n
Views: 433
Message 3 of 8

If you have warranty coverage, get it in to Lenovo for service (probably new MB).

Ted

EJH
Punch Card
Views: 421
Message 4 of 8

@richk wrote:

It is hard to distinguish between driver problems or video memory, although in my experience, it is usually memory, which is part of the graphics unit on the motherboard. Does it happen only when you are doing anything in particular?  Does anything appear in the event log?

I can certainly re-install the driver and see if that resolves the problem.

It seems to happen randomly and there may be weeks between occurrences. Nothing in the event log either.

I was wondering also about memory as a potential cause. I have 24 GB of memory installed using all 4 slots. Is this a potential cause or would I just get a BSOD?

EJH
Punch Card
Views: 420
Message 5 of 8

@tquade wrote:

If you have warranty coverage, get it in to Lenovo for service (probably new MB).

Ted

Warranty is still good and I have on-site service...I was just trying to avoid the service call if it was something I could fix.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 413
Message 6 of 8

The memory involved is probably video memory, separate from your 24gb. It is part if your graphics unit.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
EJH
Punch Card
Views: 384
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for the help richk and tquade

tquade
802.11n
Views: 372
Message 8 of 8

Your welcome.