Did you mean: 
Highlighted
a5481971
Paper Tape
Views: 2,097
Message 11 of 21

Re: W520 - Fainth/low tone beeps

Hello Michael,

I just woke the laptop up from a nights sleep, and there are no beeps today either (unlike yesterday morning). At least its moving in a better direction :-)

I took your advice and installed the Lenovo Power Manager/Drivers. Seems like an OK utility. I'll leave it installed unless it gets in my face :-)

I also updated the BIOS as PeterTWJ sugested  (even thoguh the changelog didn't mention anything spectacular).

I'll put it in sleep mode when I leave for work in a couple of minutes, and I'll see what happens later today.

Thanks.

--

K

PanEuropean
RAID Mirror
Views: 2,084
Message 12 of 21

Great news!

In the meantime, I will go to the local House of Worship and light a candle on behalf of your computer...  Smiley Happy

I have never found the Lenovo Power Manager to be a nuisance.  In fact, I kind of like the thing, because it lets me fine-tune the behaviour of the computer on battery vs. external power much better than the basic power controls that come with the Operating System.  One tip about the Power Manager though - I have noticed that it tends to default to putting the wireless adapter into "maximum power savings" mode when the laptop is running on AC power - this doesn't seem appropriate to me, I always change the configuration (via the menu) so that the wireless adapter is in "maximum performance" mode when the laptop is plugged in.

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
a5481971
Paper Tape
Views: 2,071
Message 13 of 21

So, I havn't heard the beeps since I last posted, even though I have had the laptop in sleep mode and have had the AC Adapter both attached and disconnected.

Now all of the sudden, when I attached the AC Adapter the beeps started again. So I played around with the power manager, and I noticed that switching to the Maximum Battery Life profile made the beeps stop, and switching to the  Maximum Performance profile made them appear again. But only if the AC Adapter is attached. Running with the Maximum Performance profile on battary does not produce the "beeps".

The profiles do not have the default settings. I have changed them alot, and the battery settings and ac settings for the Maximum Performace profile are the same. So it's strange that the "beeps" are only heard when the AC Adatper is attached. I played some more and found out that the setting that made the "beeps" appear is the "System Performance" settings under the "System settings" section in the "Power Plan" tab. Changing this settings from "Maximum turbo" to "Low" made the beeps disappear, and changing it back to "Maximum turbo" made the "beeps" appear again.

But again, only if AC Adapter is attached.

That's all for now.

--

K

Guru
Views: 1,820
Message 14 of 21

Hi a5481971

I am having this issue also. For my case, it is the AC port (yellow) that causes the whine, it is near to your CPU / GPU. The low tone beep could be the current buzzing through it. It is even louder when you are moving up and down the scroll bar. Maybe a board replacement or the AC port replacement could resolve your problems. You could contact and suggest it to Lenovo Support.

Cheers :smileyvery-happy:

Peter

=============================================
Does someone's post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve :smileyvery-happy:

Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future :smileyvery-happy:

Refunded Set: W510, 4876-A11

Current Set: W520, 4284-A99

Dolby Home Theater v4!:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Lapt​ops/W520-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/m-p/451401#M155... 

maortl
SCSI Port
Views: 1,800
Message 15 of 21

petertwj i think i know what you talkni about with the whining when moving up and down

i experience that also myself sometimes...

is you HD is Toshiba by any chance?

i suspect they are really noisy and some of them defective even tho s.m.a.r.t shows perfect record for now...

Guru
Views: 1,785
Message 16 of 21

Hi maortl

My 1st HDD for W520 is Toshiba. However, it is now replaced to Seagate from Lenovo when Toshiba HDD fails. Personally, I don't trust Toshiba / Fujitsu HDD. It failed me multiple times within short period.

For my case, the whine sound does not come from the HDD, but from the AC Port. 

Best Regards :smileyvery-happy:

Peter

=============================================
Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve :smileyvery-happy:

Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future :smileyvery-happy:

Refunded Set: W510, 4876-A11

Current Set: W520, 4284-A99

Dolby Home Theater v4!

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W520-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/m-p/451401#M1551... 

sproc
Paper Tape
Views: 1,700
Message 17 of 21

I have a 2-week old W520 that started making the beeps about a week ago. Like user a5481971, I have found that the beeps happen when the system has been in sleep mode since the last reboot, the AC adapter is connected, and the System Performance setting in the power plan is set to Maximum Turbo or Turbo. When I either uplug the AC adapter,  switch that setting to Balanced or Low, or shutdown/restart the machine, the beeps stop.

I don't see the point of paying a premium for a W520 only to have to throttle its performance to keep it from breaking my concentration every 60 seconds, so I will be contacting Lenovo for warranty support.

Am I being unreasonable? Smiley Frustrated

Thanks

Maciej86
Paper Tape
Views: 1,636
Message 18 of 21

Hello,

In my case I was able to establish that the buzzing/sparkling noise (high pitch) is definietely coming from the HDD (500GB Hitachi 72000rpm). This only happens when running on battery and when the power management setting for CPU management is set at either 'Turbo' or 'Maximum Turbo'. When there is no HDD activity I can only hear gentle buzizng when I put my ear close to the HDD, this noise intesity increases with HDD activity - and then there is a loud, high-pitch whining noise why e.g. copying files/launching an app. I would like to add that I already had my motherboard and HDD replaced by Lenovo Service so I don't think it is a matter of 'bad' hardware. 

Could you guys comment on that? From my personal experience that kind of noise suggests voltage problems which may cause damage but well...I may be wrong.

sproc
Paper Tape
Views: 1,632
Message 19 of 21

I ended up replacing my original W520 (for unrelated reason) with an identical model, and after several days, this one has started making the beeps, but not (yet) as loud or often. But I know it's not the HDD because this one has an SSD.

But as long as I can fix it with a reboot, I guess I'll cope. ;-)

char80
What's DOS?
Views: 1,267
Message 20 of 21

Hi Everyone,

I was experiencing the faint high pitched beep constantly for several weeks. I found your posts and decided to play with the power manager. I enabled the battery stretch settings for each option seperately and listened. I found that when I disabled the optical drive (CD) the beeping dissapeared. I will just have to remember to turn it back on when I need to use it. Hope this helps someone else.

battery stretch.jpg

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors