Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
a5481971
Paper Tape
Views: 2,897
Message 1 of 21

W520 - Fainth/low tone beeps

Greetings First time posting here. I and my father recently each bought a W520. Specs: Core i7 2820QM 2.3 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, nVIDIA Quadro 2000M In addition to this i added 8 GB RAM (for a total of 16 GB) and a Kingston Hyper-X SSD 240 GB SATA3 My fathers laptop does not have this "problem", only mine. The "problem" is the following: There are 5 fainth/low tone beeps coming from the left side of the laptop in the following sequence: 5 beeps for about 5 sec (4.7), then silence for about 1 min (61 sec), and then it repeats. This does _only_ happen when the AC Adpater is connected, i.e. when it is chargin or when it is fully charged, but with the AC Adapter still attached. If I disconnect the AC Adapter the beeps stops. The beeps do _not_ come from the AC Adapter. Now, my question(s) are: Is this normal ? (Probably not since my father laptop does not have this "issue". Is this something to be worried about ? (Is my laptop allready breaking ?) What can I do to fix/track down why this is happening ? How do I go about contacting Lenovo directly if I can't get it fixed via these forums ? (It is kindof annoying to be paying big € for a laptop, then have to listen to these annoying beeps all the time.) Thanks in advance. -- K
a5481971
Paper Tape
Views: 2,894
Message 2 of 21

Re: W520 - Fainth/low tone beeps

(Now with formatting. Sorry about that)

Greetings

First time posting here.

I and my father recently each bought a W520.
Specs: Core i7 2820QM 2.3 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, nVIDIA Quadro 2000M
In addition to this i added 8 GB RAM (for a total of 16 GB) and a Kingston Hyper-X SSD 240 GB SATA3

My fathers laptop does not have this "problem", only mine.

The "problem" is the following:

There are 5 fainth/low tone beeps coming from the left side of the laptop in the following sequence:
5 beeps for about 5 sec (4.7), then silence for about 1 min (61 sec), and then it repeats.

This does _only_ happen when the AC Adpater is connected, i.e. when it is chargin or when it is fully charged, but with the AC Adapter attached.
If I disconnect the AC Adapter the beeps stops. The beeps do _not_ come from the AC Adapter.

Now, my question(s) are:

Is this normal ? (Probably not since my father laptop does not have this "issue".
Is this something to be worried about ? (Is my laptop allready breaking ?)
What can I do to fix/track down why this is happening ?

How do I go about contacting Lenovo directly if I can't get it fixed via these forums ?

(It is kindof annoying to be paying big € for a laptop, then have to listen to these annoying beeps all the time.)

Thank in advance.

--
K

Guru
Views: 2,835
Message 3 of 21

Hi, a5481971

Sorry about your bad news. Did you actually hold any of three key combinations? As the keyboard limitations would trigger the beep.

1st. Run system update and install all BIOS, updates, patches, etc.

2nd. After updating everything and problem still persist, contact Lenovo Support. It may due to System Board failure (part of the component faulty.)

Cheers :smileyvery-happy:

Peter

=============================================
Does someone post helps you? Give them a kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve :smileyvery-happy:

Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future :smileyvery-happy:

Refunded Set: W510, 4876-A11

Current Set: W520, 4284-A99

Dolby Home Theater v4!:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Lapt​ops/W520-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/m-p/451401#M155... 

a5481971
Paper Tape
Views: 2,820
Message 4 of 21

Hello PeterTWJ.

First, thanks for replying.

No, it's not the keyboard beep that occurs when pressing multiple keys down. That beep is coming from the speakers.

The beeps I'm talking about came from the left side of the laptop, and defenitlty from somewhere inside, and much lower than the keyboard beeps which you talk about.

Notice how i said "came" (as in past tense), as the beeps are no longer heard. How's that ?

Well,  I remember enabling Intels Virtualization technology and some Anti Theft thing in the BIOS (something I did not do on my fathers laptop). So I went into the BIOS and disabled those, and then booted back to Windows. Now the beeps where gone. Strange. To test if the beeps came back if I enabled those in the BIOS again, I booted to the BIOS, enabled them, and then booted back to Windows again. But the beeps where gone :-).

So, I heard the beeps since I bought the computer (about 1 week ago) and now they are gone.

Coincidence ? I don't know. But the beeps are gone and I'm a happy camper again :-)

I've been running now for about 3-4 hourswith the AC Adapter attached, and no beeps.

So, I'm going to follow up in a couple of days and marks this as closed/solved unless the beeps come back.

Thank you.

--

K

kirayamato26
Token Ring
Views: 2,800
Message 5 of 21

Try putting it to sleep and waking it up. I get the "beeps" once in a while and it seems to always be after putting it to sleep for a while. I believe the "beeps" come from the CPU/GPU area.
a5481971
Paper Tape
Views: 2,793
Message 6 of 21

Hello kirayamato26

Thanks for following up.

Sadly to say, you are correct :-(

After putting the laptop to sleep over night, I started it this morning (no AC Adapter attached), and no "beeps". However, the moment I attached the AC Adapter the "beeps" started again. I then restarted the laptop and the "beeps" disappeared.

So the reason the "beeps" disappeard the last time had nothing to do with any BIOS settings, but simple because I restarted the laptop.

I also agree that is seems to be coming from the CPU/GPU area. Seems strange, as it's no random "beeps" as the seqence is as I first descibed.

If it has something to do with the GPU perhaps there is a bug in the nVIDIA driver (or the Intel GPU driver) that does something to the (integrated) GPU when the laptop wakes from sleep.

If I may ask, have you had your laptop for a long time, and have the "beeps" always been there ?

I'll try to do some more testing later today. Now I'm off for work.

Thanks.

--

K

kirayamato26
Token Ring
Views: 2,789
Message 7 of 21

I have had this laptop since early May. I haven't noticed the beeps until recently when I moved into my dorm as my room at home tends to be quite loud, so I'm not sure about that.
PanEuropean
RAID Mirror
Views: 2,776
Message 8 of 21

K:

I have no idea what the root cause of the problem is, but I have a suggestion to offer to assist you in troubleshooting (by this, I mean assist you in identifying what the root cause is):

My guess is that the beeping is somehow related to power control settings on the laptop.  I'm making this guess because of the correlation you have established between using the power adapter and the beeps.

So, what I suggest you do is experiment with different settings of the "Lenovo Power Control" application - perhaps change from one power plan to another, or try changing the 'global' settings within the "Lenovo Power Control" application .  See if that has any effect on the beeps.

I tend to think the problem is software related (meaning, caused by software settings) and not hardware related, simply because you have two identical machines, one beeps and one does not.

Let us know if changes to the power settings result in any changes to the beeping.

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
a5481971
Paper Tape
Views: 2,771
Message 9 of 21

Greetings PanEuropean,

I just came home from work, having had the laptop on sleep throughout the day. and started it up.

I attached the AC Adapter, but no beeps, unlike this morning.

I don't have the "Lenovo Power Control" application installed (I usually uninstall any "value added" software from any computer, no mather who makes it, but that's another thread ;-)).

Anyway, I did play with the power plan settings (through the standard Windows 7 power configuration), when this all started, and it didn't change anything no mather what power plan I used (max performance, max power save, etc)

I do agree with you in that I also think it is something software related, since as kirayamato26 said, and I confirmed, it's after a sleep that the "beeps" start. However that doesn't seem to always happen either (as I don't hear any "beeps" right now). It's also the sequence; "5 beeps for 5 sec. then 60 sec silence, and repeat", which makes me think software and not hardware (in which case I would expect constant or random "beeps").

However, next time the "beeps" start I'll try again to play with the power settings to see if I can find something interesting.

Thank you.

--

K

PanEuropean
RAID Mirror
Views: 2,768
Message 10 of 21

Hello Again K.

I know what you are saying about 'value added', 'bloatware', etc., but my experience over the past 10 years has been that some of the Lenovo provided applications work very well and tend to get rid of a lot of headaches, rather than cause headaches.  The "Power Manager" is one that I recommend you install and use, based on my past experience with it.

The current version of Power Manager is 3.62, and it requires that the Power Management Driver 1.62 be installed first. 

You can get these two files directly from here: DDFM W520

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors