Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 9 (1,175 Views)

W520 Memory Issue

Hello Everyone,

I searched through these forums and didn't find a thread discussing my issue or similar.

I own a W520 Laptop.

I installed a Crucial M4 256GB SSD drive and upgraded the memory to 16 GB. This the memory I installed http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231295

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate, but the issue also occurs when I run Windows 8 consumer preview.

I started noticing the issues about a month ago (I purchased the Laptop in January). The computer will crash (BSOD) at random times. the stop error is usually 0x0000003b system_service_exception.

The first thing I did when I started getting these random crashes was test the memory. I ran the Windows 7 memory diganostics and Memtest 86+. They both failed and indicated that my memory was defective.

Next I tested each memory module individually. To my surprise,  all four memory modules passed the memory tests individually.

They only fail when I run the test with all four slots populated.

My BIOS version is 1.34.

What should I try next. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

802.11n
Message 2 of 9 (1,166 Views)

Re: W520 Memory Issue

If you're certain that each memory module (each stick) is fully functional.

Then your laptop may have defective memory slots.

However, in my case, it was due to memory module having poor contact upon insert.  The slots were fine, the memory modules were fine.  Some times this is the case, when items are new, and the contacts have formed a VERY thin oxidized layer.  A few insertions / reinsertions would get rid of this layer and give proper contacts.

Try again...

Paper Tape
Message 3 of 9 (1,164 Views)

I'll reinsert them a few times, I'll make sure that they're inserted properly, and I'll try again.

I'll let you know.

Thanks for the quick reply!

eos
802.11n
Message 4 of 9 (1,134 Views)

I upgraded from 8 to 16GB with Crucial sticks, and got random BSODs about once a day. The sticks passed all tests. I sent the sticks back, ordere samsung, and have not had a BSOD since (about 4 months ago). Crucial seem to have a problem.
Paper Tape
Message 5 of 9 (1,088 Views)

Alright, I finally had time to test the memory again. I made sure the memory was properly inserted and that the contacts were clean. Then I ran the memory test again, and this time it passed. I let it run for several hours and didn't get any errors.

Let's hope that was the problem. I haven't had any issues, and it hasn't crashed on me since then. I wasn't crashing every single day though. It was more like every three days or so. But then, I wasn't using the computer every single day either.

Thanks for all your help.

802.11n
Message 6 of 9 (1,079 Views)

When I was doing memtest on my system, it took about 2 days for 32GB of ram (think it was 5 passes).  Each pass of 32GB took a bit under 7 hours.

If you're not in a rush to use the system, run the multi-pass over the weekend.

Paper Tape
Message 7 of 9 (995 Views)

Alright,

I spoke too soon. About a week after I ran these tests and reinserted the RAM, I started experiencing BSOD again. I ran the test on all four sticks of RAM again and they failed. And again, when I do it on only one stick at a time, it doesn't fail. If I reinsert it it passes the tests, but after a while (a couple of days) I start getting BSODs and when I run the tests, I get errors.

I'm wondering if it's the memory I'm using. As one of you suggested that when you changed the memory to Samsung memory the issues went away. It's been a while since I purchased this memory. So I can't really get a refund. If I want to get Samsung memory, I will have to purchase it and just eat what I paid for these sticks. I also don't want to buy new memory and have the issue happen again.

Anyone has experienced this issue? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bit Torrent
Message 8 of 9 (982 Views)

My suggestion would be to contact G.Skill and have them replace the SoDIMMs you have.  They do have a lifetime limited warranty.

See the contact information on the page at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231295

Paper Tape
Message 9 of 9 (961 Views)

Yeah, I assumed as much.

I already contacted G.Skill and requested an RMA. They have very good customer service - I give them that.

I will send these sticks back and get replacements. I will actually upgrade to faster and more ram (DDR3 1600 / 32 GB). So I also ordered new memory. I will just sell the 16 GB I get back from G.Skill.

I will keep you posted on how the laptop runs with the new memory.

Thanks!

Top kudoed Authors