Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ptrc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 260
Message 1 of 4

W520 - No power to LCD, doesn't boot.

Recently had the charger catastrophically fail on my W520. The computer worked fine for a couple days after the incident, and then I let it charge for a full day on the 'genuine' replacement charger from Amazon. Came home that day to find the W520 completely powered off. Tried turning it on and while the power stays on, there is no activity after that. The screen never comes on, and there is no HDD activity after the first couple seconds. Caps lock light doesn't respond, but it does flash when I initially push the power button. Fan stays on and it's definitely generating heat. Anybody have an idea of what I might have fried? I would lean toward the LCD but since the computer can't boot I'm thinking it might be something worse. It doesn't respond when plugged in to an external display and definitely never gets far enough to boot in to the OS and show up on the network.
ptrc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 250
Message 2 of 4

Re: W520 - No power to LCD, doesn't boot.

Also tried the most obvious - remove battery, AC adapter, move memory around to isolate a module or bay but came up with nothing.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 235
Message 3 of 4

What is the wattage of the "genuine" replacement

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
ptrc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 231
Message 4 of 4

170w, same size and shape as the stock one. Based on the FRU, I think it's supposed to be an Asian market version. My expectations here aren't high, but I'm hoping maybe someone has seen this sort of failure before and knows what specific parts I can replace (hopefully not the mobo), or how much it costs to send something like this in to lenovo.

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors