Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
it_geek
802.11n
Views: 127
Message 1 of 4

W520 Recovery Discs Keep Getting Stuck

Hi all,

I recently managed to get my hand on a full set of W520 recovery disks (5 discs in total including the Supplementary Recovery Disc).

Attempting to factory recovery a W520 set licensed with Windows 7 Professional (ja-JP).

Only problem is when the Factory Recovery attempts to take the data out of the Applications and Drivers Disc 1, it keeps getting stuck at random points along the disc. I usually have to take out the disc and put it back again (Message will appear saying "Necessary files not found")  - but as soon as I put the disc back in the process can continue.

My questions are:

1. When it gets stuck, and I take the disc out and I put it back in thereafter, (with the message showing Necessary Files not found) - will the factory recovery attempt to re-copy the file or will it just skip it altogether? If the behaviour is the latter, then it is freaking problematic as that means the installation will never finish (as it never has so far... Smiley Sad )
  2. Is there an alternative instead of using the recovery discs? Is it possible to create a merged USB instead from the recovery discs? (I can think of the dd command in linux - but that means 1 USB drive can only hold one recovery disc because of the nature of the dd command. The only alternative I can think of is to make a copy of the suspect disc and see if it will be better.

Looking forward to everyone's solutions, thank you!

W510: i7-720QM, 16GB, DDR3 PC10600 - 1033MHz Kingston Value RAM, 1GB Quadro FX880M, 2TB Seagate SSHD (Internal) + 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD (external via eSATA)

T410: i5-520M, 8GB, DDR3 PC8500 - 1066Mhz Kingston Value RAM, 512MB Geforce, 1TB Seagate SSHD (Internal) + 1TB Seagate SSHD (external via eSATA)
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 117
Message 2 of 4

Re: W520 Recovery Discs Keep Getting Stuck

Hi,

I'm afraid I can't be of much help except to comment that I've never been able to merge media of that vintage onto a single flash drive. Merged, yes.  Usable no.  I and others have made many attempts.  Typically it boots but can't see the 2nd and later CDs in the merged media.

I have had some success copying a balky CD or DVD  using a drive on another machine.  Rescued a few recovery sets that way.

FWIW,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 100
Message 3 of 4

I think they cannot be merged.  When I had a similar problem, my issue was a bad DVD drive.  Can you get your hands on (borrow) a USB DVD drive?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
it_geek
802.11n
Views: 75
Message 4 of 4

With some stroke of luck, I somehow managed to get all the discs working HAHAHAHA.

I might want to see if the combination thing can be done... worth a try.

W510: i7-720QM, 16GB, DDR3 PC10600 - 1033MHz Kingston Value RAM, 1GB Quadro FX880M, 2TB Seagate SSHD (Internal) + 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD (external via eSATA)

T410: i5-520M, 8GB, DDR3 PC8500 - 1066Mhz Kingston Value RAM, 512MB Geforce, 1TB Seagate SSHD (Internal) + 1TB Seagate SSHD (external via eSATA)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors