Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cnbenson
Blue Screen Again
Views: 384
Message 1 of 10

W520 mem above 4gb fails in 1 slot only

I have a dual core w520, originally with 2x4gb. I'm trying to upgrade to 2x8gb, but 8gb dimm fails in one slot, but not the other. Same behavior with both dimms. Errors reported with memtest86 and WMD. Memtest reports different cas timings when same chip is in different slots (lower in the slot that fails).

Any ideas on why this is failing?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 370
Message 2 of 10

Re: W520 mem above 4gb fails in 1 slot only

Which slots are you using?  You need to use one slot under the keyboard and one on the bottom.  On the top (under the keyboard), use the upper slot, and on the bottom, use the one on the left (if I remember correctly).

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 369
Message 3 of 10

Which slots are you using?  You need to use one slot under the keyboard and one on the bottom.  On the top (under the keyboard), use the upper slot, and on the bottom, use the one on the left (if I remember correctly).

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

cnbenson
Blue Screen Again
Views: 336
Message 4 of 10

Only two slots are usable (the other two have do not use cards in them) - this is, as I understand, how the dual-core model works.

So, I started with 2 4gb cards. I removed those and replaced with 2 8gb cards in same slots. I had a bsod under normal usage after about an hour.

Used memtest to check both cards in each slot (rotating). Both cards show errors when in bottom slot, but not in top slot. I thought perhaps slot bad, so I put old 4gb back, ran memtest again, but no errors. I get errors only when card in bottom slot is over 4gb.

The only other thing I noticed is memtest reports different cas timings for the same card when in the problem slot vs the ok slot.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 333
Message 5 of 10

What model/brand is the memory you are using?

Rich

cnbenson
Blue Screen Again
Views: 329
Message 6 of 10

Crucial 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 322
Message 7 of 10

That is the wrong memory for the machine.  You bought 1.35 volt DDR3L and you need 1.5 volt DDR3.  It will not work reliably

Rich

cnbenson
Blue Screen Again
Views: 320
Message 8 of 10

Crucial support is telling me "DDR3L is variable, self regulating memory and it will run up to 1.9 volts if the system requires it." Is this a known thing with the W520?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 307
Message 9 of 10

If it will work at 1.5v, then I have no suggestions.  Sorry.

Rich

cnbenson
Blue Screen Again
Views: 273
Message 10 of 10

In case anyone should find this and have had a similar issue... updated BIOS to latest version and performed hard reset (unplugged internal battery for a bit) and issue went away. Tech from Crucial thought BIOS may have been having trouble with something about the newer memory.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors