Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jasp3r
What's DOS?
Views: 246
Message 1 of 2

W520 not posting after removing dust

So my laptop was reaching 97 degrees when gaming, so I removed the dust. I had to remove the keyboard, front cover and cooling solution.

• I removed every screw the manual said to remove
  • removed the keyboard
  • removed the keyboard bezel
  • removed the left speaker for space
  • removed the cooling solutions
  • opened the heatsink and removed all the dust
  • closed the heatsink and removed the thermal paste remnants from the chips and cooling with benzene (wasbenzine?)
  • reapplied thermal paste
  • screwed the heatsink back on and inserted the cpu power and cpu cooler power cables
  • screwed the left speaker in place
  • placed the keyboard and keyboard bezel
  • screwed everything back in after connecting the keyboard and touchpad plugs
  • I accidentally put one longer screw where it didn't belong, i put a longer screw where instead a small screw for the rear RAM cover was supposed to go, screwed like 3 turns before I realized that screw wasn't supposed to go there, maybe ruining the motherboard near the SODIMM RAM?
  • put my ssd back in place

And for troubleshooting I checked if my CPU or GPU wasn't cracked, it wasn't. When pressing the power button, immediately one beep is heard and the screen stays black, the fan runs only sometimes.

This is what happens exactly when I try to boot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT-P-gXiYok

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 236
Message 2 of 2

Re: W520 not posting after removing dust

Can you see what the screw would have touched? Did you remove the LCD ribbon cable near the fan?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors