Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xtsubarublazin
Token Ring
Views: 497
Message 1 of 22

W520 odd bootup behavior

I've been running my new W520 through its paces and have restarted/shut down a lot... every few times, I notice the computer will begin the restarting process (power light goes off but bluetooth stays on), then the power light comes on, then I hear an audible "pop" and everything shuts off completely. A few seconds later, it boots up again and successfully completes.

This has happened as a restart, a cold boot from power, and a cold boot from battery. It never actually fails to boot up but occasionally is delayed by this odd power loss.

Related to the SSS? Anyone else notice this?

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 492
Message 2 of 22

Re: W520 odd bootup behavior

Anytime you hear a pop that sounds like a short, you should shut that puppy down, unplug it, remove the battery, and make a decision to call support.

In this case, it would be an automatic return in my book.

xtsubarublazin
Token Ring
Views: 487
Message 3 of 22

I called the point-of-contact Lenovo gave me with regards to this W510-W520 swap. Left her a message, told her about the situation and told her about your post, since you've experienced the SSS. 

I tested the machine and rubbed it on every cloth surface I could find and couldn't get it to shutdown while actually running. So I have no idea if my issue is related but you're correct - I really shouldn't hear a pop.

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 472
Message 4 of 22

What part of fire hazard or death do you not understand? 

I mean seriously, you should not attempt to use a machine that is "popping" and shutting down.

xtsubarublazin
Token Ring
Views: 442
Message 5 of 22

I don't get why you think I don't "understand" the risks here... I even agreed to your post and told a higher-up Lenovo employee about your point.

They're sending me a replacement for my replacement now. Can't wait to see how long this takes. I think I might buy that Dell in the interim...

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 440
Message 6 of 22

@xtsubarublazin wrote:

I tested the machine and rubbed it on every cloth surface I could find and couldn't get it to shutdown while actually running. So I have no idea if my issue is related but you're correct - I really shouldn't hear a pop.

Because you used the machine, again.

xtsubarublazin
Token Ring
Views: 437
Message 7 of 22

No, no, no. I had tested the machine immediately out of the box for the SSS behavior.

After it didn't exhibit anything abnormal, I tested it in other ways and that's when I stumbled across the failing at boot-up behavior.

xtsubarublazin
Token Ring
Views: 413
Message 8 of 22

Lenovo won't be able to do anything about my faulty replacement machine until Monday so I have taken the weekend to continue investigating my version of the sudden shutdown syndrome...

Up until this afternoon it has continued to occasionally fail at boot-up, before the ThinkPad screen comes on, and accompanied by a "pop" sound.

This afternoon I put it to sleep and shortly thereafter I woke it up again. When I opened the lid, it immediately shut down, no "pop" sound. Coincidentally I was going to show my wife my new Dell I ordered to replace it... so we were both sitting on the couch watching this happen. After it shut down, it booted back up, but then failed as in previous cases with a quick "pop," all the lights turned off. This time, however, it didn't stop. It was stuck in a loop of trying to boot, popping, and failing.

I investigated this time, and discovered that the sound is almost mechanical sounding, coming from the hard drive. It spins up, then pop, and everything dies again. Very odd. I turned off the computer numerous times and tried to boot up again and it continued to fail. Pulling out the AC, same result. I had to pull out the battery and try again, and it finally worked.

It hurt to spend the money on the Dell Precision M4600 I ordered yesterday out of spite. I thought maybe I could use it in the interim while Lenovo got their act together and I could go back to a W520. But now I've decided if I ever get a working W520, I am selling it. I may not even unbox the next one and just sell it as an unopened unit. Maybe I'll open it and describe here in the public sphere the problems it gives me too. Everyone should know about this.

I gave Lenovo plenty of time to prove themselves. The four failing motherboards on my outgoing W510 were bad enough. Not to mention the W510 replacement I had before that. Now I have a very faulty W520 replacement. I've heard far too many techs and Lenovo support agents say "I'm so sorry this has happened." Every step of the way I'm apologized to, but that only guarantees another step down the road. Thankfully I've had a semi-working W510 this whole time, otherwise I would be much angrier. 

Keep up the good work, Lenovo.

Chatbox
802.11n
Views: 407
Message 9 of 22

Do the following two things, and see if things would improve:

1. Install Intel's RST driver 10.8: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipse...

2. Then, run a disk scan.  "chkdsk /r /f c:", answer yes, restart the system, system will scan the disk on boot up, then it'll reboot again....into Windows.

xtsubarublazin
Token Ring
Views: 398
Message 10 of 22

RST driver didn't help and as for the chkdsk I don't really know... it got to 99% and I turned around and the next thing I know I hear windows starting. So it either died in process of the last 1% or it was successful and the machine rebooted? Dunno. Either way the issue persists.

Also, every time it boots, it defaults back to nVidia Optimus. Any thoughts on that? This is annoying as Optimus mode really doesn't work on my machine (an entirely separate topic).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors