Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ernest9029
Paper Tape
Views: 577
Message 1 of 2

W520's battery won't charge after failed battery firmware update

I am dual booting Windows 10 and Linux (Ubuntu 17.10). I was on Windows 10 when I was updating my battery firmware using the Lenovo Battery Firmware Update Tool. It prompted me to update my battery and I confirmed and clicked next. Immediately, my screen turned black. I waited 10 minutes and then did a force shutdown on the computer by holding the power button. Now my battery won't charge. It is an official 55+ Lenovo battery and last week Ubuntu's acpi said that the battery was at 67% capacity and could run on battery for an hour and a half at full charge. Now all of a sudden, after the failed firmware update, my battery will not charge: whether the laptop is on in Windows 10, on in Ubuntu, or while the computer is turned off and plugged. When I do connect the AC cord the battery indicator blinks with a steady green, to a stready orange, to a rapid orange, and then off within a span of ~10 seconds. I have tried deleting the battery drivers on Windows and restarting and it does not work. I have also tried to update the battery firmware again using the Lenovo Update Firmware Tool but it repeatedly gives me the same error "The tool was unable to update the battery firmware due to an internal error." I have also updated to the latest BIOS to no avail.

ernest9029
Paper Tape
Views: 445
Message 2 of 2

Re: W520's battery won't charge after failed battery firmware update

Nevermind. I fixed it by:

• Downgrading from Windows 10 (64-bit) to Windows 7 (64-bit)
  • Downloaded the latest Lenovo drivers and Windows updates
  • Reapplied the battery firmware patch

The laptop charges the battery again. In all likelihood, the battery firmware update might of failed on Windows 10 because I did not have the latest updates installed.

Top Kudoed Authors