Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lwh
Punch Card
Views: 1,637
Message 141 of 149

Re: W520 - various SSD issues

I have used an OCZ Agility and a Vertex 4 in my W520 without issue, both run at about their advertised top speeds when I put them in place of the HDD. No slower than when I use them in an i7 desktop...

OwaisHaroon
Paper Tape
Views: 1,447
Message 142 of 149

I recenlt purchased W520, the shock and horror came when  I tried to change the 500Gb drive with 750 GB. System is giving me an error on "Can not install as system identifed that system will not be able to boot. check the bios  to enable the controller etc. etc.

I called the Support guys, that was the biggest joke I heard, the guys tried to twist the words and tried to turn my simple question to the most complicated way finally said....... We only support our hardware , should you wish you upgrade you can buy the hard disk from us.....

THIS IS COMPLETELY NONESENSE.  I feel like being cheated by Lenovo, if this laptop has followed standards than it should take the disk of similar specification and technology framework.

The support guy mentioned that some of the Motherboard and BIOS are locked.... This is a key thing, why the hell   you are locking the bios. I have paid fortune for this machine which is useless to me and sitting at my desk...

All I say SHAME ON YOU LENOVO MANAGEMENT, fooling people with the marketing tricks and no business ethics in your organisation.

OwaisHaroon
Paper Tape
Views: 1,445
Message 143 of 149

Hi

I am having this disk issue, the guys in technial support are telling me that bios and motherboards are locked on w520 so you can buy only lenovo brand hardware....  Did you have any luck in sorting your hard disk related issue.

My system does not boot if its not the hd which came with the machine.

Guru
Views: 1,443
Message 144 of 149

This sounds like a Windows error concerning formatting and the location of the MBR. Have your deleted all of the partitions on the 750GB drive? Users can certainly upgrade the HDD to another HDD or SSD without regard to whether it has been supplied by Lenovo. Only the wireless cards are "whitelisted" and must be of Lenovo origin.

P53 XEON 2276 BIOS 1.16 OLED UHD 4K Multi-touch display, 96GB RAM, RTX5000, RAID 1, 1TB x 2 Samsung PM981, 1TB PM981, WWAN
P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.32, 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.24,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
eaglez21
Paper Tape
Views: 1,433
Message 145 of 149

Hi Guys,

I have a C4 128gb SSD installed and for about 2 months it was working fine...however, it has recently been freezing and shutting off randomly, even with no programs running.  Also...it mainly freezes whenever I pick it up or move it around in anyway.  I ran a lenovo hardware scan and it failed the targeted read test and some other test which I guess signals a harddrive failure. 

My question is.....Why would this SSD harddrive which got great reviews just fail after 2 months of use. 

Is there any program or free diagnostics tool that can fix this issue?

I have a few pretty large work applocations that our tech guy installed on my laptop which I really dont want to make him install over again.  Does Lenovo have any liability for this issue?  I bought this laptop strictly for reliability and so far this is the worst laptop I have ever purchased.  What kind of laptop shuts off on its own?  Major issues going on.....

OwaisHaroon
Paper Tape
Views: 1,388
Message 146 of 149

Harris, I appreciate your input, the disks are new disks. I will try to follow your advice and reformat, the funny part is when I install Linux based OS it does get installed but does not boot. The moment I put the same disk with installed os in another sysyem, it boots and all work as it is suppose to. You can imagine this exercise of disks and try and error has added extra burden on me in addition to my work. I wonder if Lenovo support have never found such issue before?
Guru
Views: 1,373
Message 147 of 149

@OwaisHaroon wrote:
Harris, I appreciate your input, the disks are new disks. I will try to follow your advice and reformat, the funny part is when I install Linux based OS it does get installed but does not boot. The moment I put the same disk with installed os in another sysyem, it boots and all work as it is suppose to. You can imagine this exercise of disks and try and error has added extra burden on me in addition to my work. I wonder if Lenovo support have never found such issue before?
If you are using MBR, then thIf you are using MBR, then the BIOS has to be set to Legacy or Legacy first, then UEFI. I have a 750GB AF Hitachi drive which is perfectly capable of booting into Windows 7. How are you transferring the system to the new drive? I'm not sure if I asked this question before. Post back.

P53 XEON 2276 BIOS 1.16 OLED UHD 4K Multi-touch display, 96GB RAM, RTX5000, RAID 1, 1TB x 2 Samsung PM981, 1TB PM981, WWAN
P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.32, 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.24,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
smccolley
What's DOS?
Views: 831
Message 148 of 149

Re: W520 Bricks Drives if you set HDD password

It is now 2 years later and last month my company gave me my 3rd W520 this year. It has just failed after a month with the 8mb bug in the intel SSD160 (also known for 2 years). I tried to correct it using a formatting utility but I had to set the hdd user password in order for it to work.

I tried setting the password in the Bios and surprise, I cannot log into the machine at all as the password is not what I set it to. This seems to be the same thing that happened to this other fellow I am quoting.

So now I must wait for yet another to be shipped from Singapore and I am unable to work for a week. I would think after years of problems being reported that something would have changed. The unnamed company I work for offers me another option - Mac. So now I have to go to Mac because of these problems. I will certainly beg them to stop buying Lenovo, but with 80,000 employees they probably won't listen. Everyone I work with however will certainly hear about this, maybe I can influence a few hundred to go over to any machine other than Lenovo.

And yes you would happily replace the hard drive, but would require I drive 6 hours to Bangkok or wait 2 weeks to have it done locally. Feel free to email me if you know of some way to replace the hard drive fast. I tried inserting a 500GB Samsung drive (HM500JI) and although the Bios recognized it it would not try to boot from it.

Four hd failures in one year because of a 2 year old bug? Incomprehensible. My customers would shoot me if I allowed that to happen.

@friday_phil wrote:
1) Recently received new w520, after happy with w500 for a few years. Also bought new OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD. 2) Put new drive in, set the HDD password. w520 will never be able to access the drive again. Will not accept definite, known password. 3) Suspecting problem with OCZ drive, put it in w500. Still no access possible, even though w500 has always worked with similar Crucial C300 SDD WITH PASSWORD. 4) So put working Crucial Drive WITH PASSWORD from w500 in w520. Will not recognise password, so cannot use drive. Put same drive back in w500. Works OK. 5) Got another OWC SSD (SATA 2 drive, not SATA 3, which apparently Lenovo do not support), set password in w500, works. Put same drive in w520. Will not work. Clear password in drive using w500. w520 will then access drive OK. My testing indicates two problems with w520 BIOS evidenced by the above: 1) With more than one drive type and manufacturer, w520 BIOS will corrupt the drive if you set the password using the w520. 2) Even if you set the password correctly using another machine, and verify that works OK,put same drive in w520 and it WILL NOT accept HDD password. I and expect many others need to be able to secure HDD passwords for work. w520 is Lenovo's premium work machine. Please escalate to get this BIOS issue resolved & advise.

w520woes
Fanfold Paper
Views: 764
Message 149 of 149

Re: W520 Bricks Drives if you set HDD password

I think I may have just had the same issue.  Please see http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/What-just-happened-HD-password-suddenly-doesn-...

It has not been resolved.  Basically I got locked out by a HDD password after Windows froze and I was connected to my LAN via Ethernet.  It changed my boot order or something because it was connected and that's when I realized something in my BIOS got messed up by this.  Even after unplugged Ethernet it now tries to boot from LAN first and won't accept my HDD password which worked fine before. 

Ugh.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors