cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Views: 10,997

Question

My W520 wakes from sleep by itself.  When I run the Start>Sleep function in Windows and wait until the LED around the power button is fading in and out. Then a few hours later it's apparently awakened from Sleep mode (even with the lid closed) and my battery is drained all the way to 0%.

What could be the cause of this?

Answer

There are several possible reasons why your system 'wakes up' from Sleep mode by itself.

External devices connected to your system could be a cause; as would connection to a wired network.

To check what is causing your system to wake, go to a Command Prompt and type in

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

A list of devices that are currently configured / enabled to wake the system will be returned.  For example, when run on a ThinkPad with wake on lan ethernet capability, this results:

powerconfig.png

To deactivate the devices that cause this, go to Device Manager and find the device.

1) Right click on the device

2) select properties

3) select power managment tab

4) uncheck the box that says "allow the device to wake the computer"

wakeonlan.png

Was this information helpful?

Comments
sara2

Hi, I am suddenly having this same problem (but my computer is plugged in). I will put the computer to sleep and it is waking with the lid closed. I ran the command prompt and I got to items: Thinkpad modem adapter and Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection. Not sure what I should deactivate or how........I went to the device manager for the Intel 82579M and there is no option under the power management per the illustration above.

Can you please help? I am running windows7 professional.

Thanks!!