Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daragh
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,982
Message 81 of 86

Re: W520 will not wake from sleep

What worked for me was Network Connections | Wi-Fi Properties | Configure... | Power Management | "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" - Check the box. I tried a LOT of other things, but this was my magic 'bit'.

I have seen other solutions referring to BIOS, Video and SSD drivers, but I believe I have the latest.

Win8 64-bit Lenovo T430 Samsung SSD

WWWorm
Paper Tape
Views: 1,864
Message 82 of 86

T530 2359CTO

Win8, Crucial M4 for first hdd + seagate 5400 in second

4main + 8 kingston RAM

All latest drivers

Had issue with halt from suspend - looked like hdd didn`t respond.

Disappeared after few times set and unset password on 1`st hdd.

kerbob
Paper Tape
Views: 809
Message 83 of 86

Wow.. I've been having this problem for a long time! Really, I've had two seperate problems:

Problem 1.) On successful resume, the hdd in my ultrabay gave this error:

Problem Ejecting HITACHI <model#>. 

I've got 2 SSD's installed.  One in the main bay and one in the CD bay.

Fix: Install latest Intel RST drivers from here:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22676

Woot!  One problem down!

Problem 2.) This **bleep** resume cycling issue.  I found that instead of removing my battery, I could stop the cycle by powering off the system at just the right time.  It sometimes takes several tries, but you eventually get it. 

I've had this problem since day one. I had no hdd bios passwords so that fix couldn't be applied.  What caught me is that some were saying they don't have this when the system stays at rest.  I too could sleep/wake without problems when the system wasn't moving and usually without problems if I just put it in my bag at the end of the day and fire it up the next day.  This problem is at its worst when I travel and I have to.. eek!.. close the lid to go take the laptop to a meeting.  I've lost sooo much work as a result of this.

I've done the following:

a.) Installed that driver above (which many have had nothing to do with it)

b.) I'm on the latest BIOS version as of this posting.

c.) Updated my chipset drivers (link found earlier in this thread).  I'm not sure what version of the chipset drivers I was on, so I don't know if this really did anything.

d.) Reseated my memory chips (I have 24GB of memory and both bays on the bottom are filled)

e.) I noticed my 6hr battery jiggled a bit.  I was thinking this is probably the culprit since it is about the only thing that jiggles as I move from office to meeting room. I put Welders glue (which dries kind of like rubber cement) on both my battery and in the battery dock of my laptop (see photo).  This pic was taken while the glue was still wet.  It tried within an hour and now my battery has NO play when docked. I had to push on it a bit for it to click in, but again.. its solid in there now with no play.

Conclusion: I've gotten my hopes up in the past only to be disappointed later.  But this is my last ditch effort while on this Christmas break from work.  Hopefully this has solved the problem.  I have not been able to replicate the problem through many cycles with a lot of handling and moving and jostling the laptop in between.  Undoubtedly, this problem will return just when I have critical documents open and in the works.  I'll report back if the problem comes back.

IMG_3616.JPG

kerbob
Paper Tape
Views: 776
Message 84 of 86

NOPE! Bwahhahahahahaha...

I've only proved that I cannot replicate the problem if I try.  It has crashed resuming from standy twice since my fix during the Christmas break and seems to be able to intuitively sense when it would be most advantageous to royally screw up my day and my life in general.  I think this laptop is the devil. Hmmm.. I haven't tried holy water yet....

kerbob
Paper Tape
Views: 772
Message 85 of 86

Oh, and the "Problem Ejecting HITACHI <model#>. " error is back too.. Hell.. why not.  This laptop is laughing at me.

Guru
Views: 742
Message 86 of 86

Try bending the metal fins to stick out more on the RAM door. I had this problem occasionally with my W520 until I did that (to fix the sudden shutdown issue).

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors