Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sageev
What's DOS?
Views: 1,947
Message 1 of 5

W530 External monitor resolution

Hey all,

I'm having an issue with my W530 not displaying the full resolution of 2560x1440 on the external monitor.

I'm running Win 10 Pro and connecting the laptop to the monitor using the Display port.  The maximum resolution I'm getting is 1920x1080. I've tried installing/reinstalling/uninstalling the latest Nvidia driver with no luck.

The external monitor is Samsung ultra-wide SE790C.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,916
Message 2 of 5

Re: W530 External monitor resolution

I have no experience with Win10, so even if this is what's responsible for your issue I wouldn't know.  I only know about the W530 and Win7.

Do you have "discrete graphics" selected in BIOS?  Or are you running Optimus?  In theory, external monitors should be controlled by the nVidia GPU but it's still important to know if you're running Optimus or not?

Are you also using the laptop screen in a multi-desktop arrangement, or is that disabled and you're only using the external monitor?

What does nVidia Control Panel show for your multiple desktop setup? Specifically, what is (a) set up multiple displays, and (b) change resolution?

What does Windows show, when you right-click on desktop and select "Screen Resolution"?

sageev
What's DOS?
Views: 1,903
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the reply!

I have tried all 3 settings in BIOS: Discrete graphics, Integrated graphics, and Optimus.  No luck.

I have one external monitor that I'm connecting to using a mini Display Port to HDMI cable.

I called the Nvidia support and we tried all sorts of different things like changing BIOS settings, setting custom resolution, reinstalling video drivers, but unfortunately nothing resolved the issue.

I'm starting to think it's Windows 10 that's causing it.  Exact same setup worked fine when I was on Win 10 Developer Preview.  As soon as I upgraded to Win10, it stopped working.

I may also look into changing the cable to mini DP to DP instead of using mini DP to HDMI.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,898
Message 4 of 5

@sageev wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

I have tried all 3 settings in BIOS: Discrete graphics, Integrated graphics, and Optimus.  No luck.

I have one external monitor that I'm connecting to using a mini Display Port to HDMI cable.

I may also look into changing the cable to mini DP to DP instead of using mini DP to HDMI.

I would BET it is your use of an HDMI connection that is at fault.

If your monitor supports DP, then THAT is almost certainly your solution. Get a miniDP->DP cable for a few dollars, and your problem will be solved. That's my hunch.

And go with "discrete graphics" for sure.  You're running plugged into wall power and not on battery, so just run with pure nVidia 100% and forget the built-in Intel graphics and Optimus. With "discrete graphics" the nVidia GPU also controls the laptop screen... again, a goodness.

mistera1
Paper Tape
Views: 972
Message 5 of 5

Had the same problem, it fixed itself when I started using this mini DisplayPort to DP adapter:   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YOQYQWY/

I'm getting 2560x1440 on an external LENOVO L24Q-20 monitor.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors