Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
def1977
Fanfold Paper
Views: 571
Message 1 of 7

W530 Keeps Rebooting

Hi, was wondering if anyone can help me, I have a ThinkPad W530 which hasn't had any problems other than a hard drive fail.

The other day I tried booting it up and it just kept rebooting, sometimes it would get to the windows logo, others it wouldn't even get that far. I removed the hard disk and I can get into the bios, diagnostics menu (every passes).

I've tried booting from a usb flash drive but the same thing happens, I did manage to get into  safe mode once and boot to a Linux usb, but I haven't managed to do that again.

I tried resetting the bios, drained capacitor and even reset the internal battery.

Nothing seems to work and can't find anything similar to help. No error messages seen either or they are just to quick to be seen.  Am out of ideas, has anyone had anything similar?

Running Windows 7 if that helps

Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 557
Message 2 of 7

Re: W530 Keeps Rebooting

I cannot be sure without seeing it, but it sounds like a failing/failed disk.  Do you have a good backup?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
def1977
Fanfold Paper
Views: 552
Message 3 of 7

Hi Rich, thanks for the reply. I have most of the data backed up so replacing the drive is not an issue, however even with the hard drive removed the laptop keeps rebooting when trying to boot of a flash drive. so think so think the problem is outside the hard disk

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 524
Message 4 of 7

From your original note, I assumed it stayed up without the drive.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
def1977
Fanfold Paper
Views: 509
Message 5 of 7

sorry should have explained more, with the drive taken out it stays up but brings up the menu to choose a boot device or to go into the diagnostics or setup. when the hard drive is out back in or a flash drive attached the system continually restarts

Duderonomy
Punch Card
Views: 497
Message 6 of 7

One or more bad memory modules and/or slots could be the culprit. Try reseating/removing/swapping modules. Check out this thread (different symptom but still relevant).

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/w530-2-ram-slots-failed-CPU-or-MB/m-p/22...

Follow procedures in the HMM. Be careful not to cause (further) damage due to static discharge.

W530 i7-3820QM K1000M 32Gb Ram
850 PRO 1TB, 840 PRO 512GB, 840 EVO 500GB mSata
DELL UP3017, DELL U2715H, (both via mDP)
def1977
Fanfold Paper
Views: 468
Message 7 of 7

Hi

Thanks for that, I did switch the memory out before but it didn't seem to make a difference. I tried this again and giving the laptop time to adjust and it looks like one of the modules is faulty.

The hard drive has also failed, not sure when this happened and if this was also a cause for the issue as Rich suggested, maybe it failed during all the rebooting and power cycles. I could read the hard previously in a hard drive enclosure and the smart check did pass. Now it fails and had read errors.

I can live with 12gb of memory, as long as the next drive I put in doesn't fail as quickly, this one had only been in the machine for 2 years, the one before for 4 years.

** Update **

I thought I would give the memory another chance, so reseated all the memory and it is now all showing so not sure if any has failed or not.

It did however stop the laptop from rebooting.

As the hard drive has failed now maybe that was the start of the problem, although it did continue to reboot after it had been taken out.

A combination of the two

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors