Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gabiganam
What's DOS?
Views: 7,667
Message 1 of 12

W530 - Mini DisplayPort - how to pass audio? Windows 8.1

W530, I'm using a miniDP to HDMI cable, video is passing just fine - but I can't get the audio to pass!

HELP

Smiley Happy

SeniorGuru
Views: 7,657
Message 2 of 12

Re: W530 - Mini DisplayPort - how to pass audio? Windows 8.1

Assuming your monitor has speakers and you want to play sound through them, you have to set "Playback Devices" to the nVidia HDMI device that connects to your speakers (i.e. your monitor is shown as the connected device).

Right-click on the speaker icon in the system tray and select "PlaybackSmiley Very Happyevices" to get the dialog. The miniDP connector is considered "HDMI" in the dialog for device selection.

Link to picture

I use a miniDP->DP cable, since my Eizo monitor has DP but not HDMI.  But it does have speakers.  And DP, like HDMI, carries both audio and video.

Note that I do not use internal HD graphics, nor do I use Optimus. I have "discrete graphics" selected in the BIOS and Optimus disabled.  I also have the latest 332.50 nVidia driver installed, not the Lenovo Optimus driver, for my K1000M.

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

gabiganam
What's DOS?
Views: 7,633
Message 3 of 12

what's optimus?

and what should i set in the BIOS? and how?

i don't have the nvidia driver - i'll install it now...

SeniorGuru
Views: 7,625
Message 4 of 12

I assumed you had an nVidia video card in your W530, either K1000M or K2000M. Do you?

If so, the BIOS configuration for DISPLAY (in the CONFIG menu) allows you to set one of three values:

• Integrated Graphics
• Discrete Graphics
• NVIDIA Optimus

The Integrated Graphics mode will achieve longer battery life. The Discrete Graphics mode enhances graphics performance.

When NVIDIA Optimus is selected, the system automatically switches between discrete graphics mode and the  integrated graphics mode depending on the running program. Note: NVIDIA Optimus should be selected only if you are using a Windows 7 model.

I've specified "discrete graphics", to make use of the nVidia K1000M exclusively in my W530.  It is used for all video situations, including when I'm using the laptop LCD screen as well as when I'm using my external Eizo monitor via the miniDP->DP cable.  And for this use of just the K1000M video, I've installed the official nVidia 332.50 driver rather than the Optimus driver (provided by Lenovo) which would be appropriate if I wanted to run my video in "NVIDIA Optimus" mode (which I do NOT) to facilitate a combination of Intel HD graphics as well nVidia K1000M, depending on the performance need at the moment.

If you only have built-in Intel HD graphics and no discrete nVidia graphics card, I honestly would not know whether the Intel drivers support both audio and video out the miniDP connector as the nVidia drivers do.  Never investigated this, as I use the nVidia K1000M exclusively when running my external Eizo monitor with its speakers.

gabiganam
What's DOS?
Views: 7,613
Message 5 of 12

Thanks for the elaborate answer!
I've installed nVidia driver and it works now!
Why do I have an intel graphics driver installed, if my graphic card is nVidia?
Can I remove it? Should I remove it?
SeniorGuru
Views: 7,607
Message 6 of 12

So you do have an nVidia K1000M or K2000M in your W530?  Which one?

As the Lenovo documentation kind of explained (but not terribly well), you have TWO types of video in the machine: internal built-in Intel HD4000 graphics on the CPU, and also the discrete nVidia graphics chip.

There's no way to remove or eliminate the Intel graphics, since it comes with your CPU.  But you can choose to use it or not.  In fact, you can choose to (a) use it exclusively, (b) use it in conjunction with the nVidia chip, so that the Intel graphics is used when normal performance is acceptable but cutting in the nVidia chip when higher performance is required, or (c) use the nVidia chip exclusively.  This is controlled by that BIOS setting.

So, if you choose the "discrete graphics" in the BIOS, by definition you have now totally disabled the Intel graphics and will not be using it at all.  You're strictly using the nVidia chip, as if the Intel graphics has totally disappeared and the nVidia chip was the only graphics capability in the machine.  That's how you can install the official nVidia driver and use it.

Don't worry about the Intel graphics.  If you've set the BIOS to use discrete nVidia graphics, that's all you need to do.  The Intel graphics is completely disabled.  Just remember that the nVidia graphics uses more power, so you should be running with the AC adapter plugged in.  If you run on battery you will obviously be using power faster than if you'd been using the internal Intel graphics, so just be prepared.

Just one more thing... in addition to setting "discrete graphics" in the BIOS, I also turn off "OS detection for nVidia Optimus", since I'm never using Optimus at all.  I am simply using the straight nVidia driver, with the Intel graphics completely disabled.

OS Detection for NVIDIA Optimus

• Disabled
• Enabled

The system BIOS automatically switches the Graphics Device setting to NVIDIA Optimus if the operating system supports the feature, and to Discrete Graphics if the operating system does not support it.

gabiganam
What's DOS?
Views: 7,600
Message 7 of 12

I have the K1000M.

Thanks for your help, you've provided me with some great answers.
amolw530
What's DOS?
Views: 6,647
Message 8 of 12

hello 

I had similar issue and now i have question. 

I have HDMI from W530 hooked up into yamaha reciver which goes to samsung tv. Windows 8.1

I am using HDMI (Nvidia) sound etc. 

How can I get 5.1 sound? I tried almost everything. I get stereo - no problem. Video no problem

please help. 

SeniorGuru
Views: 6,629
Message 9 of 12

@amolw530 wrote:

hello 

I had similar issue and now i have question. 

I have HDMI from W530 hooked up into yamaha reciver which goes to samsung tv. Windows 8.1

I am using HDMI (Nvidia) sound etc. 

How can I get 5.1 sound? I tried almost everything. I get stereo - no problem. Video no problem

please help. 

You need to check the "Dolby Digital" option in "Supported Formats" tab, after pushing the Properties button after selecting your DP/HDMI output in Playback Devices (selected from the RMB popup menu on the speaker icon in the System Tray).

Here's how I get 5.1 audio out my optical S/PDIF output of the Realtek sound from my desktop machine to my AVR.

amolw530
What's DOS?
Views: 6,617
Message 10 of 12

Thanks for the reply.

however, i am trying to get this on a LAPTOP with nvidia quadro k1000m

here is the screenshot of my laptop. what you told me is from spdif which is not what I am trying to solve. I am trying to get 5.1 sound over HDMI. Anyone have tried this?Capture.PNG 

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors