Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eeyore124
What's DOS?
Views: 3,629
Message 1 of 4

W530 Num Lock problems with VMWare

All,  I am having a major problem with VMWare and the W530 "Num Lock".  When I move the cursor into the VMWare window a message comes on say "NUM LOCK: ON" when I move it out of the VMWare window I see message "NUM LOCK: OFF".  I do not have any key on the keyboard to disable Num Locl.  There are utilities I can run in the SUSE VMWare image to capture the key binding and remap, but I do not have anyway of turning Num Lock on or off to capture

the key binding.

Suggestions ?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,623
Message 2 of 4

Re: W530 Num Lock problems with VMWare

Hello and welcome,

A couple of things you might try.  Don't know if they'll work on your W.  They do work on some other Lenovo machines.

Plug in a USB keyboard that has numlock.  Use that and see if it sticks after reboot.

Use the on-screen keyboard.  Click "options" and enable numeric keypad.  That should add a keypad and NUMLOCK key to the on-screen keyboard.  Use that.  See if it works - and if it sticks.

(Windows 7) Start -> Accessories -> Ease of Access -> On-Screen Keyboard.

A little more detail here:  http://www.beezmo.com/geezblog/?p=259

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Guru
Views: 3,613
Message 3 of 4

Try this:
http://www.edugeek.net/forums/network-classroom-management/102744-vmware-numlock-num-lock-off-num-lo...

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
eeyore124
What's DOS?
Views: 3,592
Message 4 of 4

I tried several things.  I set the VMWare bios Num Lock disable.  I beleive that there is a defect to the way the W530 maps the curosor move into and out of a VMWare window.  Note the problem on the W530 made worse because it does not have a Num Lock key.  I purchased a USB keyboard and WOW I have a Num Lock key.  It was very easy to get VMWare to use the USB Keyboard.

Now I have to carry around a USB Keyboard with me if I need to demo something to someone.

I might try mapping the some key or key pair to Num Lock, so I can have the ability to turn it on/off in VMWare.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors